Son of Skyress

Fandom: Bakugan Battle Brawlers

A/N: VERY IMPORTANT! If you have not watched the Wiseman Arc of Mechtanium Surge, then you should know that this story will definitely have spoilers. This takes place at the end of and immediately following "The Prodigal Bakugan" episode, but it will obviously deviate from there.
......

   Shun's amber eyes narrowed as he watched Wiseman disappear, but once he vanished, the ninja let his shoulders sag. Choosing to fight the enemy's two Bakugan without a partner of his own had been a stupid, yet necessary idea, but he was definitely starting to feel it.

   With his adrenaline fading away, the ebony teen could feel the damage to his body make its presence known. Yet he was glad Jaakor and his former students Skytruss and Orbeum had come to his rescue, and he was grateful that they had arrived before any fatal damage could be dealt.

    So, in his opinion, things could have been a lot worse. He blamed Dan and Julie for the sudden bouts of optimism that had been plaguing him recently.

    As he trekked up the mountain, Shun schooled his features and hid his pain behind a blank mask with practiced ease. Being a Battle Brawler was sure to come with a variety of injuries, but taking a direct hit from two different Bakugan was something he never wanted to experience again. But he would have to wait until he had seen the Darkus brothers off before he could succumb to the pain. He was sure he could hold off that long and not cause any of them to worry.

   The glowing black, gray, and white portal to New Vestroia, the home of the Bakugan, illuminated the area in a pale, soothing light as they reached the stony outcrop. Jaakor's students hovered close to it, but they hesitated to enter.

    "Sensei, when we were combined, I could feel for myself the bond you share with your partner Shun," Orbeum admitted.

   Skytruss flapped his wings in agreement. "Yeah, I could too, and I guess...it wasn't so bad," he confessed with a nervous laugh.

   Shun's eyes widened, and he gave a tiny, disbelieving smile to the two Darkus Bakugan that had appeared earlier that day. He had overheard the birdlike ninja's disapproval of humanity in general, and he could tell it was a big step forward for the Darkus type to admit he was wrong about the brotherly bond shared between him and Jaakor.

   The Ventus brawler clenched his hand into a fist in a valiant effort to ignore the pain throbbing through him, cursing it for distracting him. He just needed to hold out for a few more minutes. He owed the two a proper sendoff for their help.

   "I guess what I'm saying is," Skytruss continued, oblivious to Shun's struggle to stay focused, "I was wrong, and I'm sorry. Sensei belongs here with you."

   The wolf-like Bakugan Orbeum bobbed his head. "Yeah, and besides, we can take care of things on New Vestroia. We were trained by the best after all."

    Jaakor was practically glowing with pride as he hovered besides his partner, and he nodded to his former students.

   "Thank you, from both of us."

    As the Darkus Bakugan turned and prepared to fly through the portal, Shun released a surprised grunt. The effects of being hit and thrown had only been a dull ache until a burning throb crashed into him, catching him by surprise.

   Oh, no, he thought as he struggled to breathe, I wasn't....wasn't strong enough...

        His pupils shrank to the size of pinpricks, and he was vaguely aware of someone shouting his name. He slumped on to his hands and knees, a harsh cough forcing its way out. Something red and wet splattered on his hands before his vision faded to black.