Christmas Present

Monica

That was a lot of shit to try and process. I thought I was having the best Christmas this year, as everybody was getting along. We were growing in the business and things had just started happening for us. Marcus and Siedah had just gotten together and this shit had to happen. Gerald's stupid ass had to go and fuck our entire world up.

"So he shot himself?" I asked. This motherfucker took the easy way out.

"It looks like it," The officer said. "We'll find out more once we get the ballistics back on the bullets."

"Oh," I didn't have anything else to say because that motherfucker did it. The officers left and Franklin and I were still in the private waiting area trying to make sense of all of this shit.

"This is going to be one fucked up Christmas," Franklin said, sitting back in the chair. Our phones had been blowing up because this shit hit the news.

We knew it would because shit doesn't stay quiet in Chicago. Before we knew it our phones were being bombarded by news outlets trying to get the scoop on Marcus because he was a Grammy nominated producer who got shot going home late at night.

Social media had created their own story about Marcus having an affair and Siedah's boyfriend found out. This shit got crazy, fast. I know they say that even bad press is good press. But is it though? This shit was getting out of hand.

Franklin and I had been in the hospital going on about 3 hrs before someone pulled us aside to talk.

"Hi," A middle aged black woman who looked like she was a MILF, pulled us to the side and gave us the details. "I'm Nurse Brown, I'm taking care of Siedah Jackson. I heard you are here to see her, correct?"

"Yes! Yes, please......Thank you...thank...," I burst into tears. Siedah was still alive. No one told us anything, We were in limbo just waiting yet answering questions when asked.

"It's okay baby," she said, patting me on my arm. "Come with me," she said and I followed, Franklin not far behind.

"Do you know anything about Marcus Harper?" Franklin asked as we walked down the corridor to a room.

"Naw, but you might be able to find out at the Nurse's station," she pointed towards where we just came. "But she's in there." she said walking off.

I walked in the room and tears started falling. There were machines and lines and oxygen everywhere. My friend was alive, but sleeping. She made no movement, no reaction to us walking in the room. I covered my mouth as I saw a bandage wrapped around her chest. She had a breathing tube in her mouth and a monitor for her heart.

"Franklin," I said looking at my friend. "She....," I couldn't believe all of this happened just a few minutes after they left the party.

"She's alive Monica," he said, grabbing me. "She's alive. Everything is going to be alright," he consoled me. He was scared too. I heard him sniff and wipe away tears. He was hurting too. I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him tight.

"Thank God," I said. "You need to go and check on Marcus." I said, tapping him on the shoulder. "I'm gonna sit right here."

I pointed to the chair right next to her bed. I wanted to be there when she woke up. I wanted to be the first face she saw when she opened her eyes.

"Ok I'll be back," Franklin said leaving the room.

I sat there looking at Siedah, hoping and praying she would open her eyes, just once and tell me she was okay. My phone kept blowing up to the point I had to make a statement. I told Franklin I would handle the press while he tried to find Marcus. I sent a statement stating that Marcus was out with a female friend when they both got ambushed.