Chapter 12: Falling From Grace

Cardin and his team are standing at the center of the arena, looking cocky as always. The combat class started 5 minutes ago, Glynda told everyone present that today is a special lesson. A duel that is not part of teaching, it's going to be an example for the fights at the Vytal Festival. Pyrrha stands next to her team members but Jaune is at the opposite side of the room where Cardin was before.

Jaune started to ignore his team since yesterday, Pyrrha is keeping the secret to herself why that is.

Glynda:"It looks like Mis-"

She stops as the doors of the room opens with (Y/N) entering the room. He wears the same clothing he had at the initiation minus the jacket, he also has no weapons on him.

Glynda:"Oh, Mister Ziegler. It is nice that you finally join us. Why are you late?"

(Y/N):"Professor Port."

Glynda:"Understandable, please stand at the other side of the arena."

(Y/N) moves past the other students who wonder why he is here.

Ren:"Did one of you ever saw him in combat class before yesterday?"

Nora and Pyrrha thinks about it for a moment, only to come up with nothing.

Nora:"Nope!"

Pyrrha:"Now that you mention it, I haven't."

They look back at the stage with (Y/N) standing opposite of Cardin, who has a even bigger grin than before.

Cardin:"I though you would chicken out. Nice to see that you want your head smashed in."

(Y/N):"..."

Glynda:"Now that everyone is present, let's go over the rules. We going with the standard tournament rules, if your Aura drops into the red you are out. Team CRDL, are you all ready?"

Cardin:"Not that we need it."

Glynda:"(Y/N), are you ready?"

(Y/N):"Yes."

Glynda grabs her tablet and presses a few things. On the central screen, the pictures of Cardin and his teammates with there Aura appear. The same happens with (Y/N) only for a error message replacing the Aura bar.

Glynda:"Would you please sync your Scroll with the system."

She walks over to him and holds her tablet above his Scroll, after a few seconds a beeping sound rings out with a Aura bar appearing under his picture. (Y/N) looks at the monitor, a bit weirded out by it. Glynda leaves the arena and stands at a podium.

Glynda:"If you hear a buzzer the match starts. Be ready."

The monitor starts to count down with team CRDL taking out there weapons and taking a combat stance. But (Y/N) just stands at the same spot with his arms at his side. The countdown reaches zero and a buzzing sound rings out, but nobody moves. Cardin looks angry at his team members and starts to command them.

Cardin:"Don't just stand there! Get him!"

They all look at they're leader and back at (Y/N), for a unknown reason nobody can move one step closer to him. After a few seconds, one finally finds his courage and charges (Y/N).

Halfway towards (Y/N), he already raises his broadsword over his head ready to strike. (Y/N) takes the opening, quickly sprints in front of him and punches him directly into his face. Two cracking noise can be heard throughout the auditorium, one is his Aura shattering and the second one his nose breaking. A loud buzzer rings out signaling that he is out with him falling backwards knocked out from the sudden knockback of his Aura shattering. (Y/N) steps over him, coming closer to the other three. The other two of Cardin's goons rushing forward, one with his halberd pointed forward and the other holding his scimitar slightly outward. The one with the halberd is the first one trying to strike (Y/N), he speeds up trying to push (Y/N) out or pin him down. That doesn't happens as (Y/N) does a half spin to the right, dodging him and getting behind the second one. He quickly turns around and swings down. (Y/N) takes a sidestep to the right, dodging him and grabs his wrist. He twists it making him drop the weapon, (Y/N) pulls his apponent closer to him and traps the arm under his armpit. (Y/N) turns with his trapped opponent on the spot, shielding himself from the other one. (Y/N) reels back his fist and quickly punches the guy in the solar plexus, the air gets pushed out of his lungs and the buzzer rings out again. (Y/N) throws him to the side and doges a swipe from the halberd. He doges a few more until a stab comes towards him, (Y/N) turns his body to the side with the attack hitting the ground. (Y/N) takes this opportunity and steps on the shaft, breaking the weapon in two. With a quick punch to the side of his head, the last one of Cardin's goons falls to the ground with the buzzar sounding out. (Y/N) turns towards Cardin with his cocky look gone, replaced with dread and worry. He takes a step back as (Y/N) slowly comes closer, Cardin swallows the lump in his throat and tries to look intimidating.