Chapter 1- 10th Annual Reaping

The only thing worth living for was him...

The Hunger Games was never a concept that I never necessarily understood. I only knew that it drove my parents insane after they both survived through those nasty games. My mother was drafted for the first annual Games and came home traumatized. My father was drafted two years later and survived as well. Then they had me. Nessa Walker, short for Vanessa. When I was twelve my parents were hung at the hanging tree. Kids made fun of me and beat me to the bone. Then, when I was fourteen I killed a boy who was holding a knife to my throat and I went in hiding for the next four years. The only time I came out of my lonely home was for the yearly reaping.

I never quite understood why my parents were hung or why the Peacekeepers made me watch them die. They killed many people because they went insane after those games, but I didn't understand what drove them mad.

While I was getting ready for the annual reaping, I couldn't ignore this terrible feeling in my gut. Something just didn't feel right this time. I sighed and tied my white corset over my black dress. I looked at myself in the mirror as I brushed out my black hair. I didn't look like my parents at all. They both had blonde hair and brown eyes. I had black hair and brown eyes with a height of five foot. Both my parents were fairly tall so I had no idea where I got the height from. I tied up my boots and walked out of the house.

District twelve was never a very nice place. It was full of coal mines and old people. Most people hated me, specifically because of my last name. Especially, Lucy Gray. She hated me for unknown reasons and she scared me for some odd reason.

Soon enough, I got to the reaping and stood in the back line. I looked around to make sure no one could tell who I was. I still had that terrible feeling in my gut that something was going to go terribly wrong.

About twenty minutes later, everyone was here and ready for the names to be announced. The girls name would be pulled first. I was so nervous that I was shaking.

"And the girls tribute for the 10th annual Hunger Games will be... Vanessa Walker!" The announcer said. I shut my eyes right as I heard ringing in my ears. I focused on the floor as I made my way up the walkway. I walked by Lucy and made eye contact with her. She spit on me and said, "Finally getting what you deserve. You are probably going to be just like your parents and cheat anyway. You are going to be such a disappointment to our district." She finished while giving me the dirtiest smile ever. All cameras were on us. J scoffed and punched her dead in the face. She screamed and got on top of me, making an attempt to punch me back, but I caught her hands and switched our positions so I was on top, beating her stupid little face in. The Peacekeepers pulled me off and dragged me to the front onto the stage and whipped me in the face. The announcer announced the boys name nonchalantly like nothing happened.

~In the Capital~
"And that firecracker is for you, Mr. Snow." Casca Highbottom announces. Coriolanus looks down, disappointed. He didn't think she had any shot at winning the games. He needed money and power and she was not going to get it for him. The only thing that he ever cared about was power, but he needs to train her to be the best. Coriolanus had thought out his plan all night. He wasn't sure what he was going to do quite yet but knew he was going to be bending a few rules.

And so it begins...