Chapter 2- Meeting Him

Jessup and I were on the train in the pitch black darkness. I sighed and looked over at him shooing away bats. I wasn't sure if I should make allies with him or just leave him be.

"Hey, I'm Nessa Walker." I said, sticking out my hand. He looked me over and reluctantly stuck out his hand and shook mine.

"Jessup Diggs. Nice to meet you, Nessa." He mumbled looking at me. We pulled our hands away and sighed.

"Are you ready?" I asked. Looking at him thoughtfully.

"Hell no." He said, chuckling a little bit. "I'm terrified. I have no idea what's going to happen in that arena." He continued.

"Yeah, I feel the same. My parents survived but they were trained. I have no idea what I'm doing." I mumbled frowning. He rested his hand on my shoulder and squeezed it comfortingly.

"We're going to be okay. Things are going to work out. Just stick together." Jessup said, raising his eyebrows while looking at me. I nodded and wiped my tears.

"Okay." I mumbled and went to sleep shortly after. After being asleep for about six hours, I heard a loud grunt. I bolted up and saw Jessup in terrible pain while holding his neck.

"Jessup! What happened?" I yelled checking on him like a concerned mother.

"The bats. One of them bit me." He grunted out. I felt so bad that he was the one having to keep the bats away.

"Go to sleep. I'll keep the bats off of you for the rest of the ride." I said. He nodded and slowly drifted to sleep.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Another ten hours and we were finally getting off the train. I was blinded by the light as the Peacekeepers opened the door to the crate. Jessup hopped out first, then helped me out. I looked around, observing everyone. One person stuck out to me. He was dressed in all red with blond wavy hair. He had these bright blue eyes and- and he was walking towards me.

I looked up at him and smiled. He smiled back and stopped in front of me. Oh my Lord was he charming. I looked down and saw a white rose he was holding then looked back up into his beautiful eyes.

"Oh- this is for you." He said with an embarrassed smile as he held out the rose for me to take.

"Why thank you, you kind sir." I said smiling and smelling the rose. I looked around one more time. "You don't look like you belong here." I mumbled with a confused expression.

"Well, I'm not supposed to be here. I'm your mentor." He said with a little chuckle.

"Oh. Where's everyone else's mentor?" I asked, confusion still evident on my facial expression.

"Like I said, I'm not supposed to be here. I just wanted to get to know you before anything professional." He said charmingly. I blushed and looked down. Jessup interrupted our little moment. "Come on, Nessa. We have to go." He said grabbing my hand and dragging me towards the vehicle. I waved bye to my mentor and went to the vehicle with Jessup.

I felt someone grab my shoulder lightly. I turned around fast and almost immediately smacked my head into my mentors.

"I forgot to mention, my name is Coriolanus Snow." He said smiling down at me. I giggled.

"You're not supposed to be with us." The girl with short red hair said. "What the hell do you think you're doing in here?" She yelled while standing up.

"Hey now. He's my mentor, no need to be mad." I said standing protectively in front of Coriolanus.

"Was I talking to you?!" She yelled, shoving me out of the way. I fell onto my butt with a huff. I stood back up with confidence.

"He didn't do anything! Get off him!" I yelled prying her off him. Just in that moment, I felt arms wrap around my waist and a body press against my back. Then I felt us falling. We fell to the floor with a loud thump. We got up and I turned around to see Coriolanus wiping dirt off of himself.

"Thank you." I said gratefully. He definitely made that fall a lot softer. He lifter up his shirt to while his face off and I gulped at the sight of his nice abs. I quickly looked away.

"Like what you see?" He asked playfully. I looked up and giggled.

"Who wouldn't?" I asked jokingly. Then we heard this guy named Caesar Flickerman introduce himself to a camera.

"Here we are at the local zoo where you can come find your tributes for the 10th annual Hunger Games!" Caesar announced. I scoffed and turned away from the camera. I felt two hands come in contact with my shoulders.

"If they want a show, we have to give it to them." Coriolanus whispered into my ear. I turned around with a light smirk on my face. I took out the rose and handed it to him. I heard Flickerman trying to say something to us, but we ignored him. We held eye contact with each other like our life depended on it. Coriolanus broke the rose and tucked it behind my ear. I blushed and looked down. He caressed my cheek as moved his finger tips down to my chin and brought my head up to look at him. I smiled with a crimson red face.

"Can they hear us? Hello? Hi there! Helloooo?" Flickerman continues. I sighed and walked over to him with Coriolanus. We smiled at the camera.

"What's your names?" He asks with a large, toothy grin. I smile back.

"I'm Nessa Walker. Nice to meet you, Mr. Flickerman." I respond with a friendly smile.

"Oh- I'm Coriolanus Snow." Coriolanus responds a little dazed.

"You don't look like you are a tribute. How did you get in here?" Flickerman questions Coriolanus while holding the microphone to him.

"I'm her mentor. Just wanted to get to know her." He answers in a deep raspy voice that I could not get enough of.

"Okay. Uhm- I saw something brewing in there. What's going on with you two? Do you guys know each other?" He asks, raising his eyebrows with a huge smile. I rolled my eyes at him and giggled a little bit.

"I just met him. I mean, he is very charming but I can only wish." I responded with a light smile.

"What do you have to say about that, Coriolanus?" Flickerman prompts on.

"I'm just her mentor. Nothing more to it." He answers with a firm nod. I looked down to the floor in embarrassment.

"Well, looks like it's time for you to go Mr. Snow!" Flickerman says with a deep laugh as the Peacekeepers drag Coriolanus out of the zoo. I sighed and sat down on a rock. As Flickerman started to finish off his show or whatever, two little kids came running up to the gate. They started waving at me with huge smiles. Their smiles were innocent, like they had no idea what we were going to be doing.

"Hey guys, what's your names?" I asked while walking up to them.

"My name's Pontius! This is my little sister, Venus. She's four." The little boy said smiling. I talked to them for a little bit before they had to leave. Once they left, I sat on a large boulder and drifted off to sleep.