Chapter 4- Interviews

The Peacekeepers once again woke us up early to go to the interviews. I was nervous and had no idea what I was going to do or say. My perfectly white dress had turned an off-white and there were smudges of dirt decorating my face. I felt so dirty and disgusting. All I wanted was a shower.

We arrived at the main area of the Capitol and lined up in boy girl order depending on our districts. I payed close attention to everyone in the interviews. It looked like Flickerman was prompting conversation with the tributes, so that was something I could take to my advantage. I gulped as I watched the person in front of me go on stage.

"Vanessa Walker! You're up!" A lady announced to me. I sighed and focused on putting on foot I front of the other. I got out there and the bring lights blinded me. I smiled and looked at the audience, waving at them trying to look charming.

"Welcome, Vanessa!" Flickerman exclaimed excitedly.

"Why hello there, Caesar!" I said, matching his energy with the biggest smile I could manage.

"You sure seem happy to be here." Flickerman replied with a sickening smile.

"Well, I love putting on a show." I said with a little smirk while looking at the audience. They was a loud wave of laughter amongst the crowd.

"You're a very funny girl. And quite charming might I say. You have a boy at home?" Flickerman asked, trying to start conversation.

"No. No one at home, but I do have my eyes on someone." I replied with a little giggle. The audience giggled with me.

"Who might that be?" Flickerman prompted.

"That, I cannot reveal. If I live through the games, I'll make sure everyone knows." I said winking at the audience.

"Do you believe you'll win the Hunger Games?"