Chapter 6

The four of us sat on the dinner table eating the food Cathy had prepared for us. I took a bite out of my lasagne and noticed how quiet and tensed the atmosphere was. Once again, there was an akward silence surrounding the four of us.

After we finished eating, Cathy brought out some chocolate ice-cream as dessert, which I practically hogged on. We all sat on the dinner table in silence yet again, looking at each other.

"I'm going to go upstairs and finish packing, would you like to help me, Sam?" Cathy spoke, breaking the silence. "No" Sam said, crossing his arms over his chest. "It's not a question, Sam. It's an order" She said sternly while Sam groaned and followed her upstairs. I sighed and looked at Dad questioningly.

"I met her a few months back in Manchester. We started talking and all. When I went back to Manchester again 3 days ago, I decided to meet up with her. We talked over lunch and all, I proposed, she said yes. So, yeah" Dad explained, smiling at me.

I looked at my Dad wide-eyed. How could he propose to a woman he's only met a couple of times? "It was more like love at first sight, Kiara" Dad answered the question in my head. "Love at first sight? As if I believe in that crap!" I replied, irritated. "Kiara, you know I've never been in the best of relations with your mother, okay. I'm human, I need to love and be loved" Dad sighed.

"If you were never in the best of relations with Mom, why'd you two have me in the first place?" I asked, angry. "It was a mistake, alright? I was 16 and she was two years younger than me when you happened! And I couldn't deal with the pressure of being a Dad at an age that young! We tried for your sake, but she and I didn't feel anything special for each other!" Dad replied, frustrated.

"Good to know I was a mistake, Dad. That surely makes me feel love" I said calmly, giving him one last look as I headed up for my room. "Wait! You know I didn't mean it that way!" I heard Dad's faint voice as I ran up the stairs. I slammed shut the door of my room and turned my laptop on. I pulled my cellphone out of my jeans pocket and threw it on my bed.

As if on cue, it started ringing. I groaned and picked it up checking the caller ID. I smiled and attended the call. "Hello?" I asked, sitting on my bed.

"Hello, beautiful" The voice spoke. I smiled, shaking my head.

"Who is this?"

"Oh, do you not recognize me?"

"I'm afraid so"

"Well, you may call me your lover"

"As if, Zac" I laughed, logging onto my facebook account. "Leave it to you to ruin the fun" Zac said, chuckling lightly. There was a knock on the door, "Hold on a second" I told Zac and opened the door, revealing a very sleepy looking Sam.

"Uh, do you need something?" I asked, eying him from head to toe. He was wearing navy blue boxers and a basic white round-neck tee shirt. His hair were completely messed up and his eyes would probably close any second.

"Is it alright if I sleep with you tonight?" He asked. I stared at him in shock. "May I ask why?" I asked, confused. "I swear I saw a spider in my room" He said, cringing at the memory. I laughed and let him in, closing the door. I picked my cellphone up again.

"I'll talk to you later Zac, I have some stuff to do" I mumbled, looking at Sam who stared at me with a smirk.

"Ah, okay. Later Kiara" Zac sighed as I disconnected the call. I put my cellphone on my side table and picked my laptop off from my bed, putting it on my desk. Sam climbed into my bed while I glared at him. "What?" He asked, making himself comfy in my bed.

"Aren't you like gonne sleep on the floor or something?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. "Do I look like the type who'd sleep on the floor?" Sam asked, cocking his eyebrow. "If you've got such a problem, then why don't you sleep on the floor instead" He continued as he pulled my comforter over him.