Part 1

Saturday 27 Winter, Year 0

Woke up face down in the coop today. Charlie was pecking at my nose. Despite the fact that I drunkenly poured my heart out to that chicken last night, I guess she would still eat my corpse in a heartbeat. That wouldn't be the worst way to go out, honestly. In fact, when I die, I want my dust to be used to fertilise some corn for the hens.

Today (unfortunately) I'm still alive. I groaned. I had to get up before someone found me like that.

Peeling off bits of straw that had embedded themselves in my face, I shuffled through the door to the kitchen. I'm really feeling my age these days, although I'm sure passing out drunk and spending the night on the floor of your aunt's chicken coop in winter doesn't help. I checked my watch — 5:30 AM. Buh. My head was pounding as I rummaged through the cabinets for the paracetamol. I washed it down with the last of the strong stuff from my hip flask — hair of the dog (or feather of the chicken, I thought drily as I plucked one from my hair) — and dazedly made my way to my bedroom.

"Uncle Shane, you have straw in your hair!" Jas, my goddaughter and sole driving force of my existence, was reading at the kitchen table when I wandered in around noon. My Aunt Marnie was out grocery shopping at Pierre's.

"Heh. I let Charlie decorate my hair last night. You wanna have a go at it later?" I asked, as I opened the fridge. Jas loves doing my hair.

"Yes! As soon as I finish this chapter." She's already on chapter books! I'm so proud of that kid. Despite her shit luck of having me as a guardian, I think she's turning out okay.

I found some stuffing leftover from the Feast of the Winter Star, covered it in hot sauce, and chucked it in the microwave.

I watched Jas as I ate my sad breakfast. It was piping hot in some spots and stone cold in others but I didn't bother to reheat it. It didn't matter. I don't. And she's stuck with me. I felt a pang of guilt as I took in her crisp dress, neatly styled hair, and self-assured smile — no thanks to me of course. Marnie had got Jas ready for the day while I was asleep and hungover in my room. The room I'm renting from her at a ridiculously low price. Because I couldn't keep our life in order back in Zuzu. At my big age...

By the time I was scraping red streaks of hot sauce across the bowl to get the last bits of stuffing onto my spoon, I had already talked myself into a dark hole. Nice one, Shane. I didn't even complain when Jas pulled too hard at my greasy hair or snagged some strands in her butterfly clips. In a weird way, I felt I deserved this pain as some kind of retribution for being a shitty father figure to her.

I need a drink.

Sunday 28 Winter, Year 0

Today was a hectic day at Marnie's Ranch. I cleaned out the coop and barn and put in some fresh hay for the animals. Spring is coming, and with it a few new babies. Belinda, Marnie's favourite brown cow, is due any day now. I never thought I'd ever be an animal husbandry kinda guy, but here I am. I've grown fond of the cows, sheep, and goats, but my heart really lies with the chickens. I'm quite proud of the knack I have for those feathered fucks, which was quickly realised once Jas and I moved here last Summer. Don't get me wrong: I'm a Zuzu City man through and through (Go Tunnelers!) but coming to Pelican Town was probably the best move for us both.

Marnie cooked a supper of crispy bass and bean hotpot for the three of us. Not my usual fare, but it tasted especially good after a hard day of work. I told Marnie as such and she mentioned yet again how happy she was that we were here to share it with her. She also said she appreciates my help with the animals. My heart fluttered a little bit. It's good to know I'm not a burden. Despite her regular reassurances, there's still a voice within me that says she and Jas would be better off without me. Today, however, that voice is pretty fucking quiet.