XII. Against the Wall (Howl POV)

The only thing between them is the thin fabric of underwear.

Howl had anticipated this moment eagerly since they reconnected at the Just Jerk holiday party at J'Ho's. He had gone into the party uncharacteristically anxious. He wasn't sure if she would still be standoffish, and he felt too stubborn to apologize for rumors others concocted. Still, his heart quickened when he saw her at the party. They talked in separate circles as Howl debated if and how to approach her when, to his surprise, she approached him. They moved to a private corner in the hallway, sitting on the floor, inches away. If misperceptions built up their walls the previous weeks, their long conversation this night stripped them down. For the first time, Howl shared about his family, including things he usually held very private.

They managed to squeeze in two dates before they each left for their hometowns for the winter holidays. They stayed in touch daily through texts and calls, often late into the night. Their texts even turned racy one night, and he masturbated to the thought of her. Both were eager to rekindle their budding romance in person and adjusted their plans to return to Seoul a few days earlier. Howl dropped by his place to quickly shower and freshen up before heading straight for her apartment.

When Bada opens the door, his breath catches in his throat. She was wearing straight leg jeans, a black crop top, her hair down and natural without extensions. As they exchange greetings, now speaking to each other informally, his eyes draw repeatedly to her coral red lips. He doesn't bother to hide it.

It isn't long before they find themselves pressed against her living room wall. His hands glide up her bare stomach, and she shudders.

"Sorry, cold hands," he whispers sheepishly.

"It's okay." She takes his hands and moves them under her crop top. He smirks before pressing his lips to hers again, his tongue gently parting her mouth. She tastes of sweet mint.

"Should we go to my room?"

He shakes his head and bites her lip. "I want you here." His hands slide down her pants, unbuttoning her jeans to reveal black underwear. Did she wear it for him? The thought turns him on even more as he strips down to his briefs. He cups her face in his hand when he notices something flash across. He can't quite place it, but he senses something troubling her.

"You okay?"

"Hmm?"

"You seem...I don't know. Distracted."

"I'm fine," she insists, unconvincingly.

Despite knowing her for only a short breadth of time, Howl felt her he knew with some depth. "We don't have to do this tonight. Really. We've time, there's no rush"

She looks down, pondering, before meeting his eyes. "Really? I'm sorry."

"Don't be," his thumb stroking her cheek. He puts his clothes back on and goes to the bathroom to splash cold water on his face to calm his body down. They spend the rest of the night on her couch, their legs entangled, eating ramen, talking, laughing.

"You disappointed?" she finally asks.

"What do you mean?"

"That we didn't."

Howl laughs softly and interlocks his fingers with hers. "I...I'm obviously looking forward to when we...do. But I'm not disappointed. I just like spending time with you." Bada grins bashfully, and they stare at each other in a strangely comforting silence.

He meant what he said. While he desired her as a lover, what he looked forward to more was a best friend.