Chapter Four: Home (Not So) Sweet Home

Themes: angst, love, smut, attraction

Warnings: Mentioned miscarriage (non-graphic)
Please do not read anything between As your belly grew and the bed sheets if this is an uncomfortable topic for you. I have italicized those sections in this to account for this.

A/N: First of all, I'm sorry this chapter is a bit late! I went shopping today because I needed a new coat and I just got back home! This is the chapter where we get to see a little bit more of Jake and Linley's relationship after the seven year separation they've been on. It's nothing short of explosive! All of my thanks to for beta-reading and refining this chapter for me!

 It's nothing short of explosive! All of my thanks to  for beta-reading and refining this chapter for me!

Well, you ended up in jail. You've never once been able to out-dare Jake in your life and you weren't able to out-dare him today either. When Jake had unplugged the phone and taken it to the bedroom, it had been to call the Sheriff. The Sheriff of Pigeon Creek and you have a contentious relationship, to put it lightly. Too many run-ins with the law for your comfort when you were much younger and more foolish. Of course, just as the sirens show up on the front lawn, you're already booking it for the back door. This is the last thing you need, getting arrested on your first day back in Pigeon Creek. The only person you can call other than Jake is your dad. Fuck! Maybe you ought to leave quietly and come back later?

But to your surprise it isn't the old Sheriff you tormented as a teen. It's Mickey Garcia, and he walks right in through the back door. You grew up with Mickey. He's Jake's best friend and somebody Jake loves like a brother. Hell, Mickey was Jake's best man at your ill-fated wedding. Really, if Jake believes Mickey would ever arrest you, then he has another think coming, or so you thought.

"Well, well, well... If it isn't Misdemeanor Mitchell!" There's a huge grin on his face showcasing the new smile lines around his eyes and the dimples in his cheeks.

"Mickey?!" You're wrapped up in your first hug since you got back home and you can't help the smirk you throw at Jake over Mickey's shoulder.

"Hot damn, girl, did we miss you around here!" He holds you out at arm length and drinks you in.

"Hey, I think I saw poor, old Fuzz just the other day." You laugh at his words because you haven't thought about Fuzz in years. You hope that old cat is doing well, even after all this time. But, it looks like some things will never change, like how Pigeon Creek is never going to forget why you're so notorious.

"Oh, God, you just had to bring that up, didn't you?" You can sense Jake's irritation from where he's leaning on the wall and it drives your smile even wider.

"I can't believe you're the sheriff!" The last time you saw Mickey he was moving to college on a baseball scholarship.

It doesn't surprise you at all when his voice takes on a flirtatious tone. "Yep, I get to frisk pretty little things like you all day and get paid for it!"

Jake's scoff breaks up the convivial atmosphere. "Mickey, can you try and be a little more professional? We got us a prime suspect here! This woman broke into my house!"