Chapter Five: Love Conquers All (Supposedly)

Themes: angst, love, smut, attraction

Warnings: None!

A/N: Oh, here we go! This is the chapter where we finally get to see more of Linley's relationships with the other denizens of Pigeon Forge, not just Jake and Mav! I hope you all love it!

New York City - Mayor's Residence

Bradley can't believe that his mom is still going on and on about Linley and the wedding. Linley's only been back in Alabama for a day; they've been engaged for just a little bit longer than that, and Carole Bradshaw is on the warpath.He never would have agreed to meet his mom for breakfast.

"Do you even know who she is, Brad? I mean, what her family is like, where she comes from? Don't give me that shit about how she's told you stories. Do you have any proof that Linley Floyd is who she says she is?" Even at home, his mom always looks like she's ready to attend a board meeting or kiss babies for a few additional polling points. But more likely, she's expecting photographers to pop up when she least expects it for an interview with the mayor of New York. If it's happened once, it'll happen again. That's one of Carole Bradshaw's favorite mottos and it's one she lives by.

"I love her, Mom." Bradley can't help trying to reason with her.

"That's nice, sweetheart. But you have to understand, we're not better than the people we serve, or worse. We're just different. We serve the people to the best of our abilities, and we have to be good examples." She's got a frown on her face as she puts the newspaper down.

"Do you have to be so controlling?" It's a question Bradley's been meaning to ask for a very long time, and even if he probably shouldn't ask it, it still slips out.

"Is it controlling if I know what's best for you?" She takes a sip of her coffee before continuing. God she's impossible.

"In any case, you tell Linley that I've put a hold on the Plaza Hotel here in New York for June. It'll give you both a nice, long engagement to look forward to."

Bradley waits until she's mid-mouthful of her poached eggs and toast before he interjects, "We're getting married in Ireland over Christmas, actually."

She swallows hurriedly and that's the most satisfaction Bradley's had in a long time. That feeling doesn't last however, because she spits out, "If you think I'm going to let some girl talk you into getting married in some foreign country..."

This is about when Bradley starts seeing red. "She's not some girl, mom. She's my fiancée."

"You are just like your father. One minute you're brilliant, controlled, and steadfast, the next minute you're throwing it all away on some girl. You know how hard it was for your father to claw his way back into politics once he married me. Why would you make the same mistake he did?!" Bradley's left in shock as his mom races out of the dining room like something he said just burned her. Okay, so maybe reconciling Carole Bradshaw to the fact that Bradley's marrying a fashion designer from Hicksville, Alabama is going to take a bit longer than initially expected.