Wolf's Call

I skidded through the foliage trying to keep up with my prey. My heart thudded in my chest as I quickened my pace advancing towards the deer that was now only a mere few feet in front of me. The soft pads of my paws silently pounded the forest floor flicking soil up as I ran.  I saw my opening -- and pounced.

 After I had finally eaten for what seemed like the first time in days I went back to my sanctuary. I had taken up residence in a small cave hidden behind a waterfall, which seemed to mask my scent to a degree. There was absolutely no way that I wanted to be caught by others who may be passing through. I was not trespassing in someone's territory this time, I was hidden in no man's land...which was an incredibly ruthless decision on my part. I had been caught once, on an Alpha's territory, and the consequences were dire. Alpha's are dominant in nature, and when someone does not honour a law set in place and breeches their security, not to mention driven with the sheer audacity to enter their territory...well I had a lot to face. I was injured to say the least, and dumped outside of their territory, left unconscious for days and numb for weeks. It was luck and wishful thinking that got me out of there alive. I was seen as a threat, and after I had explained that I was unaware that I had crossed a borderline, he had told me he would be lenient with me. The punishment of trespassing and entering another's territory without consent is death, but I had gotten lucky. Really lucky. 

I had a home once, when I was younger. I was a part of a pack, a family even, and I had a territory that I had belonged to once. But like all nice things taken for granted -- that all changed. The specific details to this day still remain fuzzy to me, like when you got a word stuck on the tip of your tongue, you know what word it is but it remains elusive and bothers you for what seems like forever. Except, with me, my past is a constant elusive haze, always in the back of my mind. I only remember the panic when I awoke in a muddy field. I was young, and scared, so I ran. I have tried countless times to find the place that I had woken up in, but being so young I have forgotten how to get there, and who knows how far I have journeyed since then. There was only one way that I have managed to remain alive for so long, and that is thanks to my mentor. I had met him after a few weeks when I had woken up all covered in mud with no recollection of how it had happened. He had taken care of me, taught me to fight, taught me to survive, and taught me the laws that I must abide by. He gave me no name, so I call him mentor. After I had nothing left to learn he left me, without saying goodbye, and all I had was a dull pain. He had been my only companionship. I had come across other rogues, but they were not friendly, and thanks to my mentor I was able to protect myself; and I killed them.

My name is Jersey, that is all I can remember except the warm blue eyes of my parents and the smell of sweet grass and pine, I have no home, I have no future. My only goal is to survive.