Chapter Four

I lay under a leafy shelter of ferns, human. Once the attackers had left me I had unconsciously shifted forms, which undoubtedly caused such an incredible amount of pain, it had left me screaming with tears uncontrollably flowing from me eyes.

I opened my eyes looking up at the sky, noticing that it was nearly dusk. The men had been gone for quite awhile now, and I, still going through immense pain from the attack was lying on my back unable to move. I could only hope that I healed before I came across anymore danger, but by the looks of it I was going to be here for longer than I wished. I tried to take a deep breath, but it only came out shaky and in tremors, making me wince in pain. I closed my eyes once again letting the harmonic peace of the forest envelop me, in a blanket of sorts.

 ...

It had been a myriad of hours since I had last moved, and the pain was so excruciating that sleep was impossibly out of the question. I could only lie here writhing in my own personal disgust. Needless to say, I have had plenty of time to think with nothing else to do. I could not help my overanyalizing tendencies. God, could I have been more stupid? Why did I not run? I have arrogantly let my pride take over, and well, this was my 'reward.' I was embarrassed overall, my physical pain did not hold a candle to the shame I felt. The man whom I looked up to as a mentor had taught me everything in which to survive this cruel world, but what had I done? I threw away commonsense for egoistical gain. I suppose being cocky is one of my greatest flaws, and a serious weakness. I wallowed in my own self-pity, unable to do much else.

By now night had taken over, and from what I could see through the branches of ferns, the sky was blanketed in stars which shone in the dark hours.