Act 1: The Conquer

"Now you have me to fight for you, you'll see. I am the land's avenger by all rights."

-Oedipus Rex, Sophocles

-------------------

A/N: Hii! This is my first book ever so sorry if it's bad lol.
This is a fantasy romance retelling of the 430 BC Greek play Oedipus the King by Sophocles.

No background knowledge is needed to read this - this is not a fanfic. This is basically a whole new story with heavy allusions to the Greek play.
(Similar to These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong being a Romeo and Juliet retelling).

For anyone who has read the original/seen it/heard about it: This story (His Prophecy) will not have any incest like in the original play. I just wanted to make that clear. Hope you enjoy! 🫶🏻

---------------------------

Character Inspirations:

Oedipus - Princess Ophelia
Teiresias - Kyril Galanis
Jocasta - Queen Jocasta
Creon - Duchess Cliantha
Priest - Head Priestess

-------------------------

Other notes:
- Trigger Warnings: there will be violence and descriptive gore in a majority of the chapters. I will only put a warning at the beginning if it's on a sensitive topic, like relating to children. There will also be mentions of: child abuse, sexual assault, sex trafficking, and homophobia.
And of course there will be smut 😚

- The mysterious deaths that happen throughout the story are referred to as a "pestilence." The meaning of the word technically refers to a sickness, but I wanted to keep the reference to the original play, so "pestilence" in this case is a more metaphorical term, basically a "death epidemic."