A New Kind of Friendship

That same afternoon, we went to Big Banana. This was the most well known pizza resturaunt in Antigua. We we're walking and talking about crushes and he held my hand and he didn't let it go until we reached Big Banana. Just after the waitress took our order, he leaned over the table and told me he loved me. I could remember exactly the way he said it. His voice was low but still mesmerizing at the same time. I was shocked and I sat up straight. I gave him this look that seemed as if I was confused. He asked me if I felt the same way towards him. What had I known about love? I was 14 and in 8th grade. We had only known each other for one day.

I ignored the question and pretended l didn't hear him. I could see he felt hurt but I didn't want to lie.

The waitress brought our pizza and we ate. The afternoon became a bit dull but he still walked me home. I was excited to go home and tell my mother about my new friend but as usual she was too busy. I went into my room and ask myself about love. What is love? How do I know if I love someone? I found no answers.

It was the second day of school and where was Joshua? I couldn't find him. I was looking forward to apologizing to him. I saw him walk into the classroom. I got up to speak to him but he walked away. I felt hurt but I just sat down.

During our first period I went to the bathroom and was surprised to see three girls following me. As I was checking my eyes in the mirror they came into the bathroom and started teasing me. They called me names like ugly and an attention whore. I guess it was because I went to Big Banana with the cutest boy in the class. I bit my lips and took all the insults when something happened. Joshua was outside of the ladies room and he heard everything clearly. I went into one of the stalls and cried. I could hear him outside standing up for me.

I heard footsteps approach the stall I was in and I heard his voice ask if I was OK. Ofcource I told him yes but I was truly hurt. He started to knock on the stall and he told me he wasn't going to leave until I opened up. It took a while but I eventually opened and this was the first time he hugged me. He sat on the floor and bat his pretty brown eyes. I giggled and joined him. Guess he was the bravest boy in the world for coming into the ladies room. I apologized for ignoring his question and he was OK with it.

We had about a good 3 minutes of silence when I asked him to be my best friend.

From that moment on, it was always Joshua and Lila. Where ever you saw Joshua, you would see me and if u mess with Joshua you mess with me. We we're inseparable. Our chill spot and hang out was Big Banana. Every afternoon we went there and spoke for hours.

We became very close over the next 4 years. His secrets we're my secrets and my secrets we're his secrets and what ever we had we shared. It was the perfect friendship which everyone was envious of.