Chapter 15: Just

Rodney swallowed hard standing outside the restaurant, he didn't think Ally would have chosen such a high-end place for a double date. Under the dim, elegant lights of The Clock Tower, Rodney nervously adjusted his emerald green bowtie, the fabric matching Erica's stunning dress. As they entered the restaurant, the clinking of glasses and soft murmurs of conversation filled the air. Matt and Ally were already waiting at their reserved table, and the moment Rodney saw them he realized just how overdressed they were.

"Hey, guys," Rodney greeted them, feeling a flutter of nerves in his stomach. He made sure to take Erica's coat for her and hang it on the back of her chair, earning an appreciative smile from her. Ally watched the exchange with envy, glancing at Matt who hadn't bothered to offer the same courtesy.

"Artichoke dip sounds good, right?" Rodney asked as they settled into their seats, trying to make conversation. Everyone agreed, and he ordered the appetizer for the table.

Matt, ever the skeptic, leaned forward. "So, how did you two lovebirds start dating?" He grinned, hoping to catch Rodney in a lie.

Erica gave a warm laugh, her eyes twinkling. "It was actually really sweet. I dropped my science project in the hallway - a DNA strand made of pipe cleaners - and Rodney helped me reconstruct it right there on the spot." She leaned over and pressed a tender kiss to Rodney's cheek, causing Matt's grin to falter. "He is just the most kind-hearted person I know." Matt rolled his eyes, seeming almost disgusted by this answer.

The server returned ready to take their orders, Matt ordered a salad for Ally, while Erica and Rodney decided to share a massive stack of nachos. Rodney could sense the tension growing between Matt and Ally and tried to steer the conversation away from anything that could cause conflict.

"Remember that time back in Toronto when we played at that elementary school playground close to the lake?" Rodney asked Ally, he had noticed she had been oddly quiet so far. "These older kids stole my bike, and you chased them down, throwing a stick through the spokes!"

Ally laughed, her eyes lighting up. "That kid ate dirt! I was pretty badass, wasn't I?"

"Definitely," Rodney agreed, happy to see Ally joining the conversation.

Matt's annoyance bubbled over as he noticed Ally seemed to be almost glowing as she recounted more stories from Toronto with Rodney. He couldn't stand that everyone seemed to buying Rodney's innocent act except for him. He slid his arm around Ally, trying to assert his desirability. "Well, if we're talking about impressive feats, two nights ago I single-handedly won the Rockets game for us. We were down by 3 but I scored a hat trick in under a minute."

Erica attempted to join in "Oh no way, my hockey team had a pretty close game recently too," but Matt cut her off with a dismissive wave of his hand. Inside, Rodney winced at Matt's behavior. All he'd wanted was to work with Ally on the charity, but the result of his lie was this dinner and Matt seemed about to pop. But he played along, masking his concern with a smile, hoping it would all work out in the end.

Ally's patience however had reached its breaking point; she could no longer ignore Matt's behavior. "I need to go," she declared, pushing back her chair and standing up. "I'm going home." She turned to Rodney and Erica, an apologetic smile on her lips. "I'm sorry, you guys but I am just not feeling well. I hope you understand,"

"Ally, wait!" Matt called out, not seeming to realize the last thing she wanted right now was to talk to him. He scrambled after her, leaving Rodney and Erica alone at the table.

"Ally, are you mad at me?" Matt asked as he caught up with her outside. "Because I am sorry, but Rodney just gets under my skin. Like it is so clear he wants you and this has to be some kind of scheme, I just don't know what it is yet."