Chapter 20: Again.

The sun cast a warm golden glow on the school building as students spilled out onto the front lawn, chatting excitedly about their summer plans. The scent of freshly cut grass mingled with anticipation in the air; it was the time of year when anything seemed possible.

Rodney stood by his locker, eyes fixed on Ally as Matt approached her with a bouquet the size of a small garden. As he asked her to the spring formal, her cheeks flushed pink, and she grinned widely, accepting the invitation with a nod. A pang of envy twisted in Rodney's chest, but he tried to suppress it as he watched Marcy and Derek talking animatedly nearby. They had agreed to go to the event together as friends, a fact that Marcy had drilled into him, with a particular enthesis on the word friend.

"Hey," Parker greeted softly, appearing at Rodney's side and snapping him out of his thoughts. "Ready for class?"

"Uh, yeah, sure," Rodney stammered, his heart skipping a beat as he met those deep brown eyes behind the glasses.

"By the way," Parker added, leaning closer to Rodney, so only he could hear, "I have a surprise for you after school."

"Really?" Rodney's mind raced at the possibilities – was this it? Was Parker finally going to ask him to the spring formal or tell him he loved him? He spent the rest of the day lost in elaborate fantasies of how Parker could emerge with the school band to deliver his confession of love.

-----

After school Rodney met Parker out by the football stands, "Close your eyes," Parker instructed, standing before Rodney in the deserted field.

"Okay..." Rodney complied, feeling both nervous and excited.

"Open them."

Before Rodney's eyes lay a delicate silver chain with a tiny glow-in-the-dark firefly pendant dangling from it. He gasped in awe, but couldn't help feeling a twinge of disappointment that it wasn't a confession of love or even the surprise of being allowed to tell their friends.

"I saw it in the store and thought of you since you light up my life," Parker said, his voice sincere and filled with emotion.

"Thank you, Parker. I love it," Rodney managed to say, though his heart ached as he realized he would have to lie about how he got it to all their friends. Taking a deep breath, he decided to try to push to be a little more public in their relationship, the lying was getting too hard for him. "Parker, will you go to the semi-formal with me?"

Parker hesitated for a moment, clearly worried about the implications of attending the dance together. "As friends?" he asked cautiously.

"Of course, as friends," Rodney reassured him, masking his sadness as best he could. "No one has to know."

"Okay then," Parker agreed, relief evident in his eyes. "As friends."

Rodney leaned in and kissed Parker softly on the lips, a silent thank you for agreeing to go with him. As they parted, Rodney couldn't help but glance down at the firefly pendant in his hand, a bittersweet reminder that their love still remained hidden from the world.

-----

The next day at school, Rodney found himself in the bustling ticket line for the spring formal, this year's theme was enchanted garden, with a mixture of excitement and anxiety. He clutched the money tightly in his hand as he waited, listening to his peers discussing how they asked their partners to the dance. He wondered why it seemed so easy for everyone else to hold hands in public.

"Hey, Rodney!" Madison's voice cut through the chatter as she pushed her way into the line, her eyes bright with curiosity. "Is that a ticket for you and your mystery girlfriend?"