The headquarters

It was later that day and the sun was long gone when the three of them finally sat down at the table together. Miri stared at the food with her eyes wide open. There were dumplings, bread, fruit, grilled cheese and many other things... the people here certainly knew how to cook.

Usually, every Hashira was given free food in the area around the headquarters, because the people here knew them and thanked them for their services. This time, Miri's favourite restaurant owner had delivered some plates.

"Jesus Miri, stop the staring and start eating already!" Giyuu laughs "When was the last time you had something to eat?". Miri stuffs a peace of watermelon into her mouth, thinking. "I had to leave early today... maybe 7 o'clock?" she munches and demonstratively puts some more dumplings on her plate.

"Ouh, I know, it's always the early missions that suck," Sanemi replies. Somehow she found it reassuring that the other demon slayers struggled with the same issues as she did. Even the strongest of them, she thought and smiled.

The conversation went on about other things they had experienced on their missions, which Miri found very interesting as she hadn't been on that many missions herself. At the end, all three of them glanced at the last dumpling on the table. It looked very lonely on the plate...

Miri turned her head inconspicuously and noticed that Sanemi and Giyuu were also staring. The next second, all three sets of chopsticks were aimed at the fluffy pastry bag and the fight for the last bite began. Just when she thought her chances were good, Sanemi reached out with his other hand and snatched the last dumpling.

"Eyyy, that's cheating!" Miri and Giyuu shout out at the same time. Giyuu ist about to throw himself at Sanemi to get his dumpling at last, when there's a knock on the door. Instantly, they become quiet and return to their normal sitting positions.

One of the headquarter's assistants appears. He is wearing a slick suit that hangs off his tall frame. His expression is serious. "I'm very sorry to disturb you at this time of night, but there have been some more incidents that require urgent action," he speaks in a monotone voice. He goes on to explain the situation. It turns out that each of them will go to their own mission in the morning, as several other villages have been attacked. "More details will be sent to you by tomorrow morning," he says as he excuses himself to leave.

"Well, I guess I should get some sleep." Miri mumbles into the silence. She was almost a bit sad that she didn't have more time to talk to Sanemi and Giyuu, because nobody knew when they would meet again. "Sounds reasonable, me too," Sanemi replies and Giyuu nods.

As Miri turns to leave, she feels Giyuu hug her from behind. "Good luck Miri, come home safe," he whispers and squeezes her tightly. "I look forward to our next meeting," Sanemi winks at her with a cheeky grin. She cannot help but giggle slightly as she finally goes back to her room.

————————————————————————