06 / the farmhouse

WITH NOTHING ELSE TO DO, Delilah Hargreaves turned on the radio to the station she had it left on

             WITH NOTHING ELSE TO DO, Delilah Hargreaves turned on the radio to the station she had it left on. Luckily, Jeepers Creepers was not playing, and she instead got to listen to a little number that she didn't know well enough to name. She smiled to herself, because here she was, listening to a song most likely from a few decades ago on the local rock and roll station, following after two of her new friends, after a terrifying encounter her family would never believe.

If Delilah were to get home, she would have to begin journalling her thoughts, perhaps putting them into simple prose within a moleskin diary. God knew that her parents would never believe anything she told them, even if they did believe in God.

Only God would ever believe her, if he was real at all. If he listened to Delilah's heartfelt prayers.

The next song on the station as Delilah looked out the window to see a lonesome farmhouse was The Great Gig in the Sky, a Pink Floyd song that she actually knew.

"I am not frightened of dying, you know. Any time will do, I don't mind."

Delilah realized that she was afraid of dying.

"Why should I be afraid of dying? There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime."

Delilah, Darry, and Trish were going to die sometime. A cold feeling under her skin told her that one of them would die tonight. Who knows, maybe it would be her.

She followed after Darry and Trish, pulling alongside the old farmhouse. All of the lights within the house were off. Delilah wondered who lived inside it, and if they were falling into a trap. She wondered if Darry and Trish now believed her when she had told them they were being followed by a demon -- something of another realm Delilah hoped she would never have to see.

Trish took the gravel lane, and Delilah followed warily. She realized she had been wrong about the lights, for an oil lamp was lit, drawing them in towards a symbol of sanity.

"Just a phone call," Delilah whispered to no one. She parked behind Trish and Darry, waiting for them to get out and walk towards her before opening her door and getting out as well. Trish tried to reassure her a smile.

"Just a phone call." That's all that they hoped it would be anyways.

"Yeah. Hope she has a phone," Delilah grumbled to herself. She brushed bare arms with Darry, who noticed the goosebumps on her skin.

"Hope they have a gun," He told them.

"Hope they don't," Trish countered.

Delilah looked up at the sky, pointing at a single star that was larger than any she'd seen in Florida thus far.

"Make a wish, guys."

"I wish we all live another night!" Darry clasped his hands together, making Delilah smile softly at him. "I wish we'll all be safe after all this, that whoever lives here is kind as owns a working phone, and that the girls will love me when I defeat this piece of shit," He continued to ramble.