08 / nothing else matters

DARRY FOLLOWED DELILAH TO THE BATHROOM with the intention of checking up on her

              DARRY FOLLOWED DELILAH TO THE BATHROOM with the intention of checking up on her. Delilah stood with her hands gripping the sides of the white sink, staring into the mirror with bloodshot eyes. He made eye contact with her reflection and she just stared at him like she'd never seen him before. Darry wasn't sure what to say, all words having been lost on him.

"Is there a reason for your appearance in the women's restroom?" Her voice teased lightly. She spun around so she was leaning against the sink, pulling out a black lighter to light a cigarette from her pack.

"Just wanted to see how you're holding up."

"As good as I can be," She answered after a beat. She looked Darry up and down carefully. "I think I might die tonight."

That wasn't reassuring.

"I thought it would be me," Darry whispered honestly. "Maybe it's you, maybe me, maybe Trish."

"Could be everyone." Delilah knew that Jezelle knew something, something about who would be dying. Trish and Darry probably didn't get it. "Maybe we'll all get lucky."

She doubted it.

"I think I might start praying again." He stared at her, a grin slipping onto his face. "If we make it out of this I'll go to church too."

"Probably the best option." Darry moved to lean against the tile wall, one leg bent at the knee so he could rest it on the wall. "Think they'll care about the dirt on the wall?" He had made a muddy shoe-print against the white tile.

"They have bigger things to be worrying about soon." Delilah rubbed the dark circles under her eyes, attempting to get rid of the black mascara that had been plastered to the skin around her eyes. She glanced over at Darry while biting down on her lip in thought. "You wanna know something?"

"Sure." He looked at her in confusion.

"I think I might like you." She stared into the mirror, ignoring his look of shock.

"You think?" He tried to prompt her to continue. "Jesus, Delilah, on the brink of death you decide to tell me."

"I just figured it out a second ago. The last guy I liked ignored me because he thought I was a bad influence. You know, weird girl in a small town where everyone went to church every week." She looked over at him and folded her arms over her chest. "You don't have to say anything though. I bet you've got somebody either back at home or at school."

Darry shook his head slowly.

"No?"

"Nah. Get that surprised look off your face," He laughed. Delilah rolled her eyes, fiddling with the hem of her shirt. "I like you too, Lilah."

"Oh. That's cool, actually. It's nice." She nodded her head at the revelation and it was his turn to smile awkwardly. "I'm probably gonna die a virgin. Which is fine, of course. But still. Something to think about."