07 / i know the end

DELILAH TRIED TO THINK OF ANYTHING other than the fact that her car was sitting in the lawn of a dead person's house and could have been completely destroyed by the thing that was after them

"You see his face?" Darry asked Trish. She was silent.

"I did." Delilah looked out the window. "I saw his face back on this highway a few hours ago. He stared at me like he knew me."

"And what, you just didn't think to mention that? Maybe we'd have convinced Trish to drive us somewhere else instead of a few miles down to some crazy lady—"

"Shut up, Darry," Trish warned. Delilah thanked the stars for her interjection.

"Come on, Trish. I know you saw his face, goddamnit!"

"Would you have believed me if I had told you what it looked like?" Delilah asked him honestly, peering into his wild eyes. "You didn't believe my thoughts back at the gas station. It was better this way."

"We could have died, Delilah." He had called her by her full name again. "He was wearing a mask. You have to say it," He told Trish.

"He was wearing a mask," She conceded to his rambling thoughts. The loud honking of the van behind them scared them half to death. Delilah can see in the van from her seat in the back.

"What is this guy trying to do?!"

"Darry!" Trish screamed at him. The train up ahead is quickly making its way down the tracks, and then have nowhere else to go but over them.

"Gun it! You can make it!"

"Maybe down the tracks!"

"He'll kill us!"

"I can maybe get to the conductor!" They yelled back and forth while Delilah sat in silence, unable to contribute. She felt sick to her stomach, and numb. Nothing around her seemed real anymore.

"Are you crazy! You gotta do this, Trish!" The train continues to blare a horn in warning, while the truck behind them taunts them excitedly, so close to getting to its victims. As the barriers almost come down completely, Darry screams at Trish and she slams her foot down on the gas, flying across the tracks and leaving their pursuer behind.

The sedan spins along with Delilah's stomach. Darry and Trish continue to argue over the state of the car when it will not move forward. They have so little time to get it working before the truck is following them again. Delilah tries hard not to vomit.

A loud thump comes from above her. The creature stares at them, having jumped over the train and landed over them.

"Start swerving!" Delilah yells at Trish when the car finally shoots off. Trish tries to get him to fall off the roof of the car, but he merely sticks his blade through the roof, close to Delilah's head, causing her to scream. "Shit!"