09 / can't let go

"WHERE IS HE?!" Darry frantically yelled, slowing the van down

"He's dead! He doesn't have a head!"

"Like that's stopped him before!" Delilah yelled back at Trish.

"Guys, he doesn't have a fucking head!"

"He's not dead!" Darry refused to believe for a second that the Creeper was dead. It had been after them for too long and had survived being shot at, run over, and multiple hits from knives, spears, and machetes.

"How's he supposed to eat anything without a head?!" Trish through her arms up.

"He's not gonna stop, Trish. He's never gonna stop." The warning bells at the railroad crossing made their eyes widen. "Get out! I mean it, get out! There's grass over there!"

"He's dead!"

"We don't know that, Trish!" Delilah felt like shaking the girl. "Do it! Trish!"

"She's right, he's not. We all know that!" Something lands on the roof, causing the van to shake and Delilah to scramble away form the opening hole in the roof. She can see the creature looking down at her, reaching through to grab a fistful of her hair. Trish swings an axe at the arm, severing it.

With the other arm, it reaches for Darry's head.

"Goddammit Trish! I'm not doing this for nothing!"

"You're not doing anything without me!" Trish throws a spear at the creature, pinning his torso to the roof of the car.

"Son of a bitch!" Delilah screams hoarsely. With renewed anger, Darry's head is grabbed again, being yanked out of the top of the van. Delilah's screams echoed through the van as she attempted to save Darry.

"Get her to leave!" Darry shouted at Delilah, causing her to pause, looking at him with tears in her eyes. "Get her out!"

"No!"

"Trish get out!" Darry and Delilah yelled at her until finally, betting on them both having a plan, she leaped out of the passenger side. Delilah was quick to close the door and lock it immediately when Trish scrambled to her feet. She clambered over the divider into the front of the van with Darry without letting go.

"Let go, Lilah," He murmured at her. She shook her head. "Trish is out. It's your turn, now." The Creeper batted her away with its scaly hand and claws. She grunted at the feeling of skin breaking. "Let go."

Delilah didn't want to let go of him.

"It's not supposed to be you!"

"It's not supposed to be any of us, Lilah," He said, staring at her with tear-filled eyes. "But what can we do now? Tell me, and I'll do it."