A Soul Set Apart

Paimon: great. after all the running around, here we are... back in the ruins... *sighs*

Aether: shut it, paimon. it can't be help...

Paimon: ughhh...

the three of them entered the ruins where the defile statue was.

as they approached the statue, dain's eyes widened in horror.

Dainsleif: w-what... ughh! *clutching his head*

Paimon: dain! what's wrong?

Dainsleif POV

what... what is that... that statue... how can...

ughhh!

???: you... dainsleif...

the statue... it talked! no... no... it's all an illusion!

???: DAINSLEIF! TRAITOR!

without me realizing it, the place around me turned pitch black.

"where am i..."

???: dain...

this voice! as soon as i looked to the source of the voice, my eyes widened in shock.

a woman wearing a purple kimono, holding a katana.

"lady makoto!"

3rd POV

Makoto: yes? why do you look surprised?

Dainsleif: no... you're not real! *shouts*

Makoto: *giggles* same dain, same dain. of course i'm not...

the blonde man averted his gaze, not wanting to make eye contact with her.

Makoto: you seem to be burdened by that sin?

Dainsleif: ...

Makoto: you were forgiven a long time ago, weren't you? by me... and him.

Dainsleif: i-i can't accept that... even so, i should just die!

Makoto: you're here, aren't you? maybe dear has plans for you. maybe he wants you to have another chance. to seek redemption...

Dainsleif: no! h-he... he...! ughh... he could have easily killed me, but he chose to forgive me! w-why!? i don't understand!

Makoto: *chuckles* as expected from dear. a demon god who is feared by the world yet is merciful... don't you find that strange?

the man finally turned his gaze back towards the woman, her smile lighting up the place around them. turning it into a field of flowers.

Dainsleif: but i killed you...

Makoto: one's sacrifice doesn't affect the whole world now, does it?

Dainsleif: ...

the blond man is silent as he stares at the woman. suddenly, the space around them cracks.

Makoto: i think my time here is up. take care, dainsleif. you are a proud knight who once protected the kingdom...

with one last smile, the woman called makoto disappeared and the space around dainsleif returned to normal.

Paimon: oi! are you okay?

Dainsleif: hm... *regains composure* yes, i'm fine.

Aether: maybe it's because of that statue? i can feel the dark and corrupted energy leaked from the statue...

Dainsleif: be careful. i sense someone beside us... he's here!

an abyss herald suddenly appeared out of thin air, standing face to face with the aether's party.