The party

Sabine had a hard time choosing which dress she was going to wear for the party. She wanted to put on her new pair of heals, yet she had no idea about the rest. The accessories ? Golden ones would look elegant. Her hair ? Maybe it was better to leave it like that. She tried on so many styles during the evening, but when she found the perfect one, she could not avoid a smile. She was finally satisfied. In the end, she picked a black tight and short dress with long sleeves.

The snakes in the vivariums of her apartment were making a hiss. They did not like it when Sabine had to leave.

"Shhh. I'm gonna be just fine. You don't have to worry about me, friends", she said.

She put on her new heals, took her keys and headed outside. She was ready to meet the other agents at the party. When she arrived, Fade was waiting for her on the sidewalk. She was wearing a long dress in a dark shade.

"Selam (hello) Viper! Everybody is waiting for you, especially Killjoy and Raze, they have something for you!", said Fade, full of excitement.

"Hi Fade. Something for me? Interesting. Should we head inside? It's a little cold out there"

"Sure thing."

They both entered inside the Headquarters' hall which had been decorated for the party. It was full of colourful balloons and there was a lot of lasers on the dancefloor. The music in the background was pretty chill.

"Viper! We have something for you!", shouted Raze and Killjoy from the other side of the hall.

"Told ya", whispered Fade, chuckling.

They walked towards the girls, wondering about what the thing was. Raze gave a small package to Sabine. When she opened it, it happened to be a cute little robot the girls made earlier. Its form was pretty original, it was a snake-like form, and it moved around Viper. Its fuel was indeed...toxins! Sabine found it cute to have a small form following her around. She thanked the girls for their amazing work.

Sabine noticed that Chamber was the only one missing. The boys were with Jett and Neon. It was unusual for him to be late.

Brimstone made a quick speech, thanking every agents for their work, and the music started. Phoenix asked Jett for a dance, which she accepted. She was blushing under her makeup. Yoru was already dancing with Skye, who was having a hard time following his steps. Killjoy and Raze were not on the dancefloor but they were singing the lyrics out loud together.

Viper was drinking some good Champagne in a corner, watching the other agents having fun. She did not know the songs. Neither did she know the dances.

"May I ask for a dance, Mademoiselle ?"

Chamber appeared behind her, whispering these words to her ear. Surprised, she turned around to face him.

"Chamber, I-," she paused, "I...will accept your invitation."

Chamber did not expect this answer. He liked this unpredictable side of hers. He could not hide a smirk.

"You look pretty in that dress. Well...you are pretty no matter what...", he mumbled, while adjusting his glasses.

"...you are handsome too in that black suit. The tie is cute."

Cute? Did Viper say that something was...cute? Chamber thought he did not hear that right.

"Cute...?", he asked.

"Yes, cute indeed. Just like this little guy down there", she said, showing the robot that was beside her.

"Oh. It is really cute indeed. Raze and Killjoy finally gave it to you."

"I couldn't say no. I...like it", Sabine said, smiling.

She bent down to pat it. Snakes had a particular place in her heart. The way they moved was very interesting and different from any other kind of species. And their venom could be used in diverse areas : either to heal or to kill. She did not usually show any kind of attachment to anything but snakes.

She put her glass of Champagne on the table next to her. Chamber reached out to ask for a dance. Sabine grabbed his hand and they started to move slowly to the rhythm of the music. She was embarrassed. Before, she would hate him for acting this way. But somehow, it felt different this time.

Chamber grabbed her waist but his hands were shaking. No woman made him that anxious but her. Sabine looked at him in the eyes. Her emerald eyes were so deep. The next music started.

"Viper, I have something to tell you", said Chamber after some time.

"Sure. Go ahead Vincent"

"Oh. So you know my name?"

"I do. Your friend at the bar. He called you by your name"

"I see...I do not know yours, it's too bad...", said chamber, feeling sad.

"It's Sabine. Sabine Callas", answered Viper.

"Vincent Fabron. It's a pleasure to know you, Mademoiselle", he said, chuckling.

Chamber could not stop smiling. He finally knew her real name. She would finally trust him. Something was different between them. Agents don't usually say their name to each other. It is better to keep it a secret.

"I look like an idiot, don't I?", he asked, still smiling.

"Yes. But still handsome", answered Sabine, "so, what was the thing you wanted to tell me?"

Chamber glanced at Yoru who was putting his thumbs up, showing his support from the other side of the room. Chamber sighed. He had to say it. It was now or never.

"Actually I think I like you...Sabine", said Chamber.

Viper stopped moving. She did not understand what was going on in her head. She had so many thoughts. She felt like her heart was going to explode. Was she happy ? Stressed ? She had no idea.

"Are you drunk by any chance...?", asked Chamber when he noticed Sabine was out of words.

"Ah, I must be. Otherwise I would not be so overwhelmed by what you've just said"

Chamber took the glass of Champagne on the table and drank it all. He did not want her to drink any more of it. The liquid went down his throat as Sabine could not take her eyes off of him.

"Quel délice (What a delicious thing). But please, be careful with alcohol", he said.

"Chamber, my head is spinning", said Sabine, putting her head in her hand.

Yoru, who was watching them from afar understood that something was wrong. He came to Chamber, worried.

"Is Viper okay ?", he asked.

"Not really. I think she is drunk. I will take her back home. Do not worry my friend", answered Chamber.

"Oh what a gentleman", said Yoru, "So...I bet your love declaration was not the one you hoped for...", he whispered to Chamber.

"Ah...not really. I wish she would understand my feelings. I wish she was not drunk now...", replied Chamber with a sad look. "Let's go home Sa- I mean Viper"

She was still holding her head in her hand, struggling to find out what Chamber was saying.

Chamber took his coat and then helped her to walk to his car, leaving the little robot alone.