Winter Wonderland

In a land that smells like peppermint and pine. The northern lights glittering in the sky, the snow deep and present all year round. Tall white and red candy canes tower over the glittering snow and the passing bears and reindeer. The bells gently rang around the reindeer's neck and tinged as they walked through the thick ivory powder.  Their little fawns bounced behind them. They came to the frozen lake now, and they paused and looked across, watching the polar bears play in the freezing water. They disappeared behind the pines again and continued trudging through the snow. 

Snowflakes gently land on their brown fur and their antlers. The fawns kept close to their mother as they approached the cabin on the snowy mountaintop above the water, a blue hue reflecting onto the white. A well-dressed snowman had been built outside, a black top hat with a  red band and a bit of holly on it. Smart coal buttons and eyes, strong branch arms, a red scarf and a carrot for a nose. One of the fawns took the nose from the snowman and ate it with a crunch. The snowman came to life now, "hey!" he said. The fawn leapt back surprised into a candy cane, it wobbled, and a fresh sheet of snow fell off the candy cane and buried the fawn beneath it. 

It popped out of the snow and shook the snow off its furs. The snowman gently pats the fawn's head. The mother deer sits under her shelter, and her fawn trots around the snowman looking up at it and jumping back and forth playing with the snowman. The cabin door opened and a man dressed in red with dark brown fur lining the coat and the collar. He smiled looking around at the animals. The fawn bounced over to him and rubbed its head against his leg, he smiled and stroked it.                      

His sledge waited next to the house, all the reindeer tacked and ready to leave. The fawn skipped around it, and one day knew it would be one of the reindeer pulling the sleigh. The others greeted the fawn rubbing their snouts together. As the largest star rose in the sky, they took off. Their hooves and the bottom of the sled glittered powered by the Christmas wishes of people and they soon rose into the sky in no time, Christmas was here. The fawn dances around in the snow watching them before letting out a squeak. The snow glittered under the moonlight, and the fawn now overcome with fatigue dragged its tiny feet toward its mother and settled down under the shelter snuggled up next to her.  

The snowman kept watch, he had forgiven the fawn for taking his knife and chomping it to pieces, the sight of it with its mother was enough to warm his heart if he had one. The polar bears soon arrived at the cabin too, she had two cubs with her who held shards of candy canes in their mouths, no doubt the mother had scratched the trunks of the great candy canes that decorated the forest. They too settled down for the night after devouring their red and white treats. 

It was all quiet except for the wind as it whistled over the winter wonderland, carrying the scent of mint from the candy canes, it was pleasant and relaxing to the inhabitants. Once the sledge had returned and all the reindeer were resting in the barn, the sledge too was put away and kept safe waiting to do it all again the next year.