Chapter 8

It had been almost a week since my date with Scott and things were going great with us so far, when I got my first message from Braxton. It was plain and simple and my stomach knotted.

Braxton: I would much rather have your number because we're not 15 to be texting here, Lovely.

As though my fingers had been disconnected from my brain they started typing an answer, even if that probably wasn't one of my smartest moves.

Me: Why would we even text?

I chose to ignore the nickname.

His response came in quick.

Braxton: Because everyone wants to text me.

Braxton: And you're one of the lucky ones.

Fucking arrogant ass. That's what he was. Full of himself with ego so inflated it could take him to the Moon.

Me: I'm not giving you my number.

This time around I had to wait about twenty minutes for a reply, and I hated to admit I was on edge anticipating it.

Braxton: Why not?

Me: You could be a crazy stalker.

Braxton: But I'm not.

Me: But you could be.

Braxton: Check my followers, Lovely, no stalker is that desired.

I couldn't believe him.

Me: You are so full of yourself.

Braxton: Now, now, wouldn't you feel better if you could text me that via two different channels.

He really wouldn't give up, ha?

Me: I can't give you my number Braxton, I'm seeing someone. It would be weird.

He didn't text back after that, so I turned my phone off and went to sleep.

~~~

"Why do you deem me so awful?"

It was Friday afternoon and Braxton was leaning against the counter in the coffee shop I worked in, asking me all sorts of things. That was his second time and that made me uneasy. No one I knew came here, save for Ivy, because this was my safe place, somewhere I went to clear my mind.

Braxton was invading it.

"I don't deem you awful, you're just a jerk."

Leaning to the side I called out for the nest customer. "Next! Could you please step aside, Braxton."

He did as told — to my surprise — although it didn't last long for him to start nagging me again.

"Don't you have something better to do?" I asked, infuriated with his bothering me.

"Actually someone, and it can wait."

I can't with his attitude.

"And why do you keep coming here for coffee?"

"It's my second time, first of all, and I told you before: People don't recognise me. It's peace and quiet — I need that once in a while."

"I don't know, it's never peace and quiet anymore since you came along."

Something glinted in his eyes. They were smirking but his expression didn't falter from the usual boredom.

"You're wrong, by the way."

I didn't turn from making a drink to look at him.

"I'm not a jerk."

I glanced at him now. Something in the tone of his voice, the way he said that made me pause my movements halfway. He seemed...angry.

"Look..." I started, but he cut me off.

"There is a party my friend is having tomorrow. Come. Bring your redhead friend with you."

Then he pivoted on his heels, leaving me dumbfounded with a coffee mug in my hand. He didn't leave a lot of room for objections, it was not so much an invite as it was an order.

I didn't like being ordered around, yet my dumbass still called Ivy after my shift and told her where we were going the next evening.