#10: An Old Friend

..

There, I stand. The morning shower drenching me. I was alone. I was alone at the graveyard. The pigment of the roses I bought slowly fading away. My tears are barely visible, as the rain let my hair down. After what felt like years, I manage to break the silence and finally utter the words I've been holding back. “Happy Birthday, Yoshi.” I say, dropping the roses down, before quickly walking away. Finally, I broke down. He can't see me like that. I can't let him see me like that. As much as I wanted him to say.. “Thanks, Megumi.” or see him smile. It never happened and it will never happen. He's gone. “See you later.” I mutter, leaving him there.

..

“So then she told him—” Leo continued his rant to us. I honestly don't understand why we're talking about this when our home, basically, is like in pieces. But I'll overlook it, since Megumi hasn't even commented about it yet. I lose track of my thoughts by laughter, which I soon join in. Everyone laughed together; Everyone.. except Megumi. He was in his own world, not adding a single word to the conversation. He peered through the window of the diner, Chihiro brought us to, silent. The weather was blue. Downpour yelled loudly from outside. I quickly glance and see Chihiro and Leo talking with each other, before nudging Megumi. Finally, he broke out of his thinking. He turned to me, a tear slowly dripping onto his seat, before he immediately wiped away the water from his face.

“Are you alright..?” I mouth to Megumi. He nodded, before turning back to the window. He was clearly lying. I'll ask him later. I turn back to the others, as the laughter comes to a halt. Leo turns to Megumi, calling out to him, “What do you think, Megumi?” Chihiro followed Leo, eagerly waiting for his answer. Megumi looked at the two, considering his words carefully. He then changed to his usual uninterested expression, “I don't care,” he replied.

“Moving on. Let's talk about something crucial now. Chihiro, what the hell happened while we were gone?” Megumi added, resting his head on his fist, staring at Chihiro. She placed down her cup of tea, which she held earlier, and turned to everyone. “Well.. everyone wanted to surprise you and Rin.. so we set up those ruined decorations you saw,” She said, shifting her sight to me. “Then, that Kira.. he's— he..” Cutting herself off, abruptly. Instantly, all three of us went on the edge. “What did he do, Chihiro?” Megumi asked, freezing completely. Soon, she realised the deeper meanings her words could've been mistaken for. She widened her eyes, chuckling nervously, “No, no. He didn't hurt me. He just.. um.. he ruined all the pretty decorations.” Soon, one by one, we all let down our guards. I sigh to myself softly, focusing back onto the conversation at hand.

“Then what?” I replied, eagerly waiting for Chihiro to bring up the fact that he was searching for me. “Him and a few other lackeys took down all the posters and just.. destroyed everything. Then.. he asked for you, Rin,” Chihiro returned the stare, a more worried expression spread across her face. “Why would he do that?” Megumi stared at me, followed by Leo. “Tell him, Rin.” Leo interjected, his expression becoming more serious. “All I did was beat his ass—” I announced, sighing. “Who knew he would hold a grudge.” Megumi groaned, cupping his face into his hands. “Megumi. They were members of Golden Lion,” Chihiro finished. Megumi lifted his head, his eyes enlarged. I turned to Megumi, raising an eyebrow. My eyes slowly shift to Leo, looking as dazed as me. Soon, Megumi burst out laughing. Very different from how he sobbed earlier. All three of us just sat there, waiting for him to stop and explain himself. “Um—” Leo cut in, as Megumi's guffaw ended. He wiped a tear, a joyful one this time, away, using the edge of his hand. “Leo,” he started, Leo raising his head in eagerness. “How long has it been since we've been in a fight with other gangs? Years! Now they actually see us as a threat. Because we have you,” He pointed at me, beaming widely. “Although I should see that as an insult, since I am technically Balladeer rank 4, but I digress,” He added. I ignored all Megumi said and only heard his last words.