After Dark

after returning from the ruins, and experiencing a moment of heartbreak, aether and paimon rested at the liyue harbor. walking along the harbor looking at the ships.

Paimon: so aether...

Aether: don't worry... i'm fine...

he looked up at the sky, taking a moment to calm his mind.

Aether: geez... and here i thought my goal was complete *laughs*

Paimon: ...

Aether: split up again... this time, she chose to. hahhh...

Paimon: aether...

she felt sad... her heart ached every time she saw aether's smiling face. it was too much for her not to realize how sad aether was...

Paimon: ...

Aether: well... *chuckle* maybe this is also a gift...

paimon's eyes widened, surprised by his optimism. why? why don't you just give up?

why don't you just give up-

???: and let me take care of the rest~

Paimon: huh!?

Aether: *looks at paimon* are you okay?

Paimon: y-yes... anyway, paimon's tired... let's get some sleep before we discuss what to do next!

the two of them decided to go to the inn, and rest for a day.

after aether fell asleep, paimon left the sleeping aether and the inn, flying towards the-

after a while...

"brother, look here!"

"hahaha, you look so funny, lumine!"

"hmph! stop laughing!"

aether opened his eyes, greeted by the sunlight shining into the room. as he looked to his left, there he saw Paimon.

her clothes were slightly burnt, her forehead and arms were slightly injured. her hair was a mess and not to mention there were slight cracks in her halo. but it was too much for aether to notice the details.

aether widened his eyes, shocked by what he saw.

Aether: paimon, what happened to you!

she opens her eyes lazily, looking up at aether with the warmest smile you've ever seen.

Paimon: ohh, aether...

after a while, paimon woke up completely. floating in front of aether who was sitting on the edge of the bed.

Paimon: y-you see... paimon didn't want aether to be sad... s-so paimon had an idea. here...

she takes out a hairpin similar to the one she's wearing now.

Paimon: p-paimon hopes you'll like it... it's made from the best material paimon've ever gotten!

she then gave the hairpin to him with a smile, even though she had slept, her eyes still showed fatigue. however, she hid it all with a smile.

Aether: paimon... *takes the hairpin* thank you.

aether pulled her in for a hug, embracing her little guide.

this made her cry, because her efforts... all of her efforts paid off. all to make him happy.

she didn't care if it hurt her... as long as he was happy...

Paimon: uwaaaaaaaaaah! aether! uguuuuuu! *crying*

she couldn't hold back her tears. crying happily on aether's shoulder. the emotions she once held back now... ok, that's too much for me to write. let's skip it.