5 / gabriel

IT'S true that he has work.

It's also true that he wants hot chocolate at past one in the morning.

And it's also true he's waiting for someone.

Kaya habang tulog na halos ang lahat pagkatapos ng dessert at beer, Gabriel sits by the bar with his laptop open and a mug beside him. If he doesn't do this, he'll get bored waiting, and kailangan na rin niya bawasan ang inbox niya.

Actually, bawal magtrabaho sa bahay na 'to habang naka-break ang pamilya, pero maiintindihan nila si Gabriel. Tutal, siya naman ang nagpapatakbo ng TG.

Nakahalati na niya ang inumin niya na pampagising rin nang may marinig siyang yapak pababa ng hagdanan.

Without looking away from his screen, he smiles.

Lov finds him there at the kitchen, his fingers flying across the keyboard. "We're not supposed to work, bawal 'yan," she reminds him.

"They won't know, they're asleep," he murmurs, hitting Send before giving her his full attention. "'Wag ka ring snitch."

Lov rolls her eyes and rounds the bar.

Sinundan ito ng tingin ni Gabriel.

She's wearing a big white and red sweater na High School Musical at short shorts. Nakalugay ang buhok nito at barefaced, ready for bed.

It's not unusual seeing Lov out of casual or corporate clothes, pero natatawa na lang si Gabriel sa sarili niya when he still gets winded over it.

Binuksan ni Lov ang ref at nilabas ang gatas.

Lagi kasing nahihirapan makatulog si Lov sa gabi kapag nandito sila sa Anderdal Manor. One night three years ago, Gabriel caught Lov by chance wandering the gardens no'ng siya rin ay hindi pa makatulog. Ginawan niya ito ng bedtime drink.

Since then, every night, kailangan ni Lov inumin ito para makatulog.

"Ako na," Gabriel says, standing up. "Umupo ka na lang. Mas marunong pa 'ko gumawa niyan kaysa sa 'yo."

"Kaya ko 'to gawin, nagtatrabaho ka pa," Lov insists, stubborn woman that she is, opening cupboards.

"Usog, sabi."

"Tumahimik ka nga."

Gabriel comes closer until he's towering over her. She looks up at him.

She smells like expensive shampoo.

Gabriel closes the distance between them. Hindi umurong si Lov. He leans down, staring into her eyes, and whispers, "Alam kong kaya mo. But just let me."

With that, he closes his hands around her hips, his fingers spanning her entire waist, and lifts her until she's hovering above the floor. Effortlessly, he moves her a few inches from her previous spot and sets her on her feet.

Then Gabriel opens the cupboards and turns on the stove to heat her milk.

As if his heart isn't thundering inside his chest.

As if his fingers aren't burning for more.

As if the thought that he can lift her so easily doesn't do anything to him.

(It does. It does a lot of things to him.)

Lov's jaw drops incredulously. "You—pinulot mo lang ako—"

"Ayaw mo kasi makinig sa isang salita," sabi ni Gabriel, gathering back his composure and leaning against the counter. "Gusto m-in-a-manhandle pa, e."

She scoffs. "You're so annoying, you know?"