Through The Ropes

Scott's Perspective-

"So Scott, this is who you're going to be helping train. He's new here, so show him the ropes. And have fun." Scott's father said, patting his son's back.

Scott looked at Jimmy and raised an eyebrow.

"Why did you apply for this job?" He asked after his father left.

"Oh, I just needed some money and- "

"Is that why you asked for my number? To try and get a job here?"

Jimmy blinked and then nodded.

"Y-yes. Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to do." Jimmy lied, smiling sheepishly.

"Oh, well the café's number was on our website, you could've just done that."

"Haha, yeah I'll...do that...next time."

"O...kay, well welcome to the café. As you know, my name's Scott, and I guess I'll be teaching you how the job works here. So, what are your skills?"

"Skills?"

"Yeah, you must be good at- "

"Oh, well my sister taught me how to make espresso and some other kinds of coffee."

Scott blinked, "Well- I guess that works, yeah. But- if you don't mind me asking, why did your sister teach you how to make espresso?"

Jimmy shrugs, "I don't know. I think she said it's just because she likes it, and she knows I wake up earlier than her and I guess she'd just want me to make her a cup so then she can have it when she gets up."

"Hm, smart."

"I never do, though."

Scott chuckled, "Fair enough."

Jimmy smiled at Scott.

"Alright, let's get started." Scott said, clapping his hands.

Scott started by helping Jimmy know where everything is and take people's orders.

Near the end of their shift, Jimmy had worked well.

He was able to take someone's order and make some small talk without stuttering, which he was over the moon about.

"Hey Scott?"

"Yeah?" Scott turned to look at Jimmy.

"Why do our aprons have poppies embroidered on them?"

"Oh, poppies are my family's favorite flower. Well, except Xornoth. I think he said he liked sunflowers but I'm pretty sure that's because his friend Pearl does."

"Huh, interesting." Jimmy said faintly, thinking of something.

"You okay? You sound like you got something on your mind." Scott said and Jimmy blushed.

"U-uh, it's nothing. Just thinking!"

Scott raised an eyebrow but shrugged, not pushing on the matter.

"Well, welcome to The Major's Café." He said, stretching out his hand.

Jimmy smiled and shook it.

"Thanks."