The Gig

Johnny's POV

We begin our set with the Beatles' I Saw Her Standing There, which for the last 4 years have kept the crowd pumping whenever we perform.

Then the songs kept coming: Don't Stop, Rockin' All Over The World, Caroline, Foxy Lady (where Seth and I took turns playing lead guitar), all of which were met by wild applause and cheers. Before we continued to the next song, I drank some water then spoke to the audience.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen!" I hollered, making the audience cheer. "Thank you very much for coming. For those who haven't heard of us, we're The SHIELD...", the crowd applauds. "I'm Johnny Clarkson," I continue, to another round of applause, "and these gentlemen who I have been playing with for the past 4 years are Seth Rollins on guitars and vocals," I point to Seth, who waves to the audience and bows. The audience responds with applause. "On drums we have Roman Reigns," he stands up from his drum kit and takes a bow. "On bass we have Dean Ambrose," he does a slap groove on his bass and bows. "On the keys we have Dolph Ziggler, and also..." Mike interrupts me. "My name is Mike Mizanin, aka The Miz, and I'm AWESOME!" We laugh at him, and he beams. I continue speaking, setting down my Stratocaster and putting on my acoustic guitar. "A month ago, we released a single entitled Strangers In the Rain..." The crowd applauds. "And thanks to you guys, it's been doing quite well! So ladies and gentlemen, tonight we'd like to play for you, Strangers In the Rain, I hope you like it." I began the song by playing the intro on acoustic guitar, before the rest of the band kicked in.

How did it come to this?
How did we drift away?
And now I'm in the rain
Crying and hoping you'll stay

Don't let us end, baby
I know deep down, you still love me
Don't let us become strangers in the rain
Sparing us from heartbreak and pain

All I ever wanted
Was for love to stay
And now that we've come this far
Please don't throw our love away

Don't let us end, baby
I know deep down, you still love me
Don't let us become strangers in the rain
I know you won't leave my love in vain

I know it won't be long until you see
That I belong to you, and you belong to me
Please...

Don't let us end, baby
I know deep down, you still love me
Don't let us become strangers in the rain
Sparing us from heartbreak and pain

Don't let us end, baby
I know deep down, you still love me
Don't let us become strangers in the rain
I know you won't leave my love in vain

The crowd erupted in cheers once again. It's time for our acoustic set, which I really love because it gives us a chance to showcase our harmonies. Roman stands up from his drum kit and takes a tambourine, Seth sets down his electric guitar and straps on an acoustic (as does Dean), Mike and Dolph huddle into one microphone. We begin our acoustic set with A Horse With No Name by America, followed by When I'm Dead and Gone, Two Steps Behind, New York Mining Disaster 1941, Massachusetts and Teach Your Children.

The crowd applauds again. I strapped on my Les Paul and spoke to the audience. "Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. So a few days ago, we released our second single, entitled Neon Girl..." This elicited a round of applause, though not as much as the previous songs did. "Now I know that not a lot of you are familiar with it yet, so we'd like to do it for you, and we hope you enjoy it."

Wonder what you're hidin'
'Neath those emerald eyes?
'Cause everytime I see you
Babe, you got me hypnotized
So keep on doing what you're doing
'Cause baby, you're "Born for This"!

You gave my heart a little chaos
"After Laughter" ended and loneliness came in
Even when I'm lonely and sad
You stayed through thick and thin
Your lovin' guides me through the mist
And "This is Why" I won't let go of this feelin'

Oh, neon girl
You changed my life without a word
Won't you tell me
How to be part of your world?

Seems like you'd be a "Riot!"
And you ain't gonna stay quiet
Darling, you're the reason why
I look at life with "Brand New Eyes"
And you're a raging fire
Burning in this world cold as ice

Oh, neon girl
You changed my life without a word
Won't you tell me
How to be part of your world?

If "All We Know Is Falling" apart,
All I know is you would still have my heart
People may tell me you're no good,
But I know you're just misunderstood
I know your lovin' will stay true
And that I'll always be "Still Into You"

Oh, neon girl
You changed my life without a word
Won't you tell me
How to be part of your world?

Oh, neon girl
You changed my life without a word
Won't you tell me
How to be part of your world?

We followed it up with (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, Helter Skelter, Shake It Up, Steady, As She Goes, and Break on Through (To The Other Side), setting down my guitar for the latter song. Then comes my second favorite part of our gig, the solos! We started things off with me and Seth having a guitar duel, Dean's bass solo, Mike and Dolph's piano/keyboards solo, and finally Roman's drum solo, where the whole band plays, then stops, leaving Roman to play a solo. Dean, Seth and I put down our instruments, Mike and Dolph left their keyboards, and the five of us left the stage. Our next destination, the diner next door. It's become sort of a tradition for us, having a quick bite during Roman's drum solo then coming back for the finale.