Part 12/3 Humble and His Own Plan

For as long as he knew him, and he had known him since he was a boy, Charles always told Humble what to do. Humble liked to think of them as partners, but he understood - Charles was the boss and he was the flunky. Well, it was time for a promotion. Charles was leaving town anyway, so how would he ever know he had not followed the plan "specifically" like he told him to. Humble had plans of his own. He was going to follow Charles's plan for Noah's Ark, just not "specifically".

Charles's Specific Plan:

"Turn the water up full blast on the east end, near the big room. Then go to the end near storage and make sure everything is locked up tight. I don't want the exhibits destroyed. I have to have some type of legacy and by the time they find the others, they could be ruined, so make sure you lock up so the doors are sealed. The family room will flood first. Once it breeches about the middle of the wall there, it will help flood the rest. After you get Rose Marie locked up, the water on, and secure the outside locks, evacuate. If she doesn't die of fright first, Rose Marie will most likely starve before they find her. If you want to make sure, and have the time, go ahead and strangle her. I know you like the up close. Serves her right. I hope she suffers. We won't worry about cutting off the water this time. After about a week, Bea will notice the lake in the yard and call the plumber. Once you cut it up full blast, you will have an hour and a half, maybe two. Do not stay around and watch. I know how you like to watch, but it is dangerous. Water is a powerful, uncontrollable, unpredictable force. Evacuate immediately. I would advise you to leave town quickly. Have your bags ready. I have one thing to take care of before I leave. We will follow our emergency evacuation plans, I will contact you in the manner we previously discussed."

Those were the orders given to Humble. Sounds like a damn spy movie, thought Humble. Who the hell does Charles think he is? He don't control my every move.

Charles did not change his mind about giving him one of the Spitfire girls. No time, he said. Well, Charles can kiss my ass. I'm having me one of those girls. Gonna play before I go. Gonna make time.

The plan was to start at twelve noon per Charles. He was giving Izito a chance, a very small chance, to find his mama. It was a slim chance because Charles never played fair. He always cheated. It was one of those things Charles liked to do in his cat and mouse games - he liked to give hope and snatch it away. It was one last game before he hit the road.

Humble followed Charles's plan specifically to start with - he tricked Rose Marie into the tunnel and locked her in. He might strangle her later, but for now, he had better plans for his hands. The mayor next went to cut on the water, but he only cut it up halfway. He guessed this gave him an hour more to play. Plenty of time to have some fun, he thought. He visited a guest or two and then he went to get his prize.

Humble walked down the hall with deliberately loud, agonizingly slow footsteps. She heard him coming. She was ready.