Part 20- "...Winter is never for poor people."

Chapter 20

After drifting off and taking short naps during the flight, we finally land in Golders Green, London. It's my first time in this part of England.

"And here come my grandchildren," Grandma beams, embracing me warmly. She's the Ghanaian who married billionaire Gregory Rhode Evans, expanding the family empire. Our bags are carried by the maid and the driver who transported us from the airport to their mansion. "What have you been eating? You look so thin. Hasn't Justin been giving you enough to make you bloat?" I choke on my saliva and start coughing.

"Thanks, Grandma. And I'm not 'thin'; I'm a model."

"That's just an excuse for you young people to starve yourselves." I chuckle and glance at Justin. That's when I notice James and Julia descending the stairs. I totally forgot they'd be here before us. "And how's my favorite girl?" She moves to Ariana and gives her a tight embrace, almost suffocating her.

"You always ignore me. That's so unfair, Grandma Lisa," Justin pouts. Grandma smiles and side hugs him. Christine carries the sleepy Diane, and Jeremiah chats with his parents.

"James! Have you called your sister? She and her chaotic family should've arrived two days ago." Mr. Greg's voice echoes. He's very white, the reason the family is African-British. With striking green eyes that I wonder why James doesn't have, but I'm sure his daughter does, though I've never met her; she didn't attend our wedding. Julia is tight-lipped, and there's an awkwardness between Justin and her. It's almost 2 am, and we all need rest. It's extremely cold outside, and I just want to snuggle in bed with my husband.

******
Traveling to these white countries is irksome due to the excessive cold. Why didn't we spend Christmas in Ghana? I'd take dry lips and cracked feet over this relentless cold any day.

"Hot Chocolate for you."

"Thank you." I accept the mug from Justin, my hands shaking. He gazes at me with concern. He's spent half his life here, so I bet he's fine with the weather. I lean against the headboard, clad in Justin's oversized hoodie and sweatpants.

"You'll be fine. It's usually cold like this in the morning, but it'll cool down in the evening. Plus, it's Christmas Eve, and there's so much to see out there." He guides me to the dining area, vast enough to accommodate the whole of Spain.

"Are you okay, Kylie?"

"Yes, Greg." That's one interesting thing about having white in-laws; they don't mind being called by their names. "I'm not used to this cold weather." I explain while taking a cookie. Julia scoffs.

"Why would you be used to it? Winter is never for poor people." She snickers. I sigh, trying to remain composed.

"Mom...I..."

"Thank you, Julia. You're so kind!" I step on Justin's toes, not wanting to worsen things between him and her.

"James. Has your sister been hit by a train or something?" Greg repeats.

"She'll be here, Dad. She says..."

"What's up, Family." A very familiar voice surprises me. Are you kidding me? So Jenny is the daughter of Greg's sister? I've been married to Justin for four years, and I didn't know? Not only is my worst nightmare here, but she's brought her unfriendly best friend along.

"I thought... I thought this was supposed to be a 'family reunion,' so what is she doing here?" I gasp, unaware I'm yelling.

"That's not a nice welcome for 'family.' And I invited Laura." I try to stay calm. Jenny's arrival feels like another one of Julia's ploys to create a rift between Justin and me.

"I'm sorry, who's she? And why are you so mad?" Christine arrives, Diane rubbing her eyes, inquisitive.

"She's just a pain." I apologize instantly. Using such words in front of kids is prohibited. Justin embraces me and kisses me, calming me down. "I love you," he whispers.

Jenny and Laura retreat to their room soon after.

"You three were such close friends. I wonder what happened for you to hate each other." I'd like to confront them, but she disappears into her room before I can say a word. She's stricter than Devi's mom in Never Have I Ever.