Muted // 01

Maria found herself walking between Scott and Stiles as they made their way towards the lacrosse try-outs. She wasn't paying much mind to what the boys were saying until she almost fell, grabbing Scott. Stiles laughed at her as she glared at him playfully. Nowt she began registering the conversation.

"Of course you're still team captain." Stiles began as Maria looked up at Scott, seeing a look of uncertainty on his face, "you got your grades up, just like coach told you to." He paused thinking about what he had just said, before looking at Scott for reassurance, "right?"

Scott sighed as Maria shot Stiles a look at his clear lack of faith in Scott. "Yeah, but he never said I was back on the team - he just told me to show up at try-outs today..." he trailed off looking back at Stiles as Maria rubbed his arm gently in comfort.

"We got bigger things to deal with anyway." Maria said to him, hoping to make him feel better about his current dilemma. Stiles modded at Maria, agreeing with her, "did you tell Argent yet?"

Both Stiles and Maria looked at Scott awaiting his answer, "Uh..." he began, making Maria sigh. "I texted him, but he didn't get back to me..." he continued sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck. Maria shot him an incredulous look as Stiles did the same, opting to speak next.

"You told him his sister Kate came back from the dead over a text?" This made Stiles and Maria share a look, the latter shaking her head.

Scott spoke again, sheepishly as the three were now stood still, halting their walk, "I didn't have the money to call France..."

Stiles sighed, "you think you got money problems? Try paying for an MRI and a visit to Eichen House." Maria looked up at Stiles in slight sympathy, "Another notice?" She spoke as they began their walk again.

"Yeah" Stiles paused to sigh, "this one said 'final'."

The trio continued walking slowly, in thought before Stiles halted causing the other two to follow suit. "Now, what the hell are we doing here anyway? We got like a hundred and seventeen million problems, and worrying about our status on the lacrosse team is not one of them."

As Stiles finished he turned to look at Scott and Maria, the latter nodding along as the former was staring at the people playing. "...It is now."

Scott's words caused both Stiles and Maria to follow his gaze to a blonde kid, the same one who Maria remembered looking at her funnily.

Stiles looked taken a back, "who the hell is that??"

As he said this, the trio heard another blonde kid say, "nice, Liam! You might just be our first-ever freshman captain." His words caused Scott and Stiles eyes to widen as Maria glared slightly at the boy who had spoken. She remembered his name to be Garrett, although she had never spoken to him before.

Stiles spoke again, still looking at the field, "...maybe we should practise just a little bit..." Maria rolled her eyes slightly at the comment, moving away to the bleachers. This motion caused her to miss the eyes following her from a particular blonde boy.

———

Maria found herself in the boys locker room, keeping her eyes forward so she didn't see anything scarring. She was being dragged along, once again, by Stiles and Scott as she tried to avoid curious eyes. The three approached the blonde boy from earlier - Liam.

"Hey Liam," Stiles began, smiling falsely at the boy, "do you want to explain what that was out there?"

Upon hearing his name, the boy turned around, confused by the sudden appearance of the two juniors. He became even more confused by the appearance of a fellow freshman, Maria McCall. He cleared his throat a little, looking up slightly at Stiles.