• 3 •

14 Years Old

Jeon Wonwoo,
Even if we were in different schools, but we managed to see each other. It is funny how we lived in a small island yet we have two different schools, maybe it was because of the big population we had. I mean, we have large population enough to have two schools and a mini mall but small enough to know almost everyone in the island.

Middle school was being harsh with me, I thought (again) I could make new friends here in middle school but no, everyone was against me. I wondered why, was it because I look boring? Or because I am not good with communicating with people? Maybe the former, maybe the latter, maybe both. I don't know, Wonwoo, I felt sad.

I wondered if you made some friends as well because you were good with talking, you were able to interact with lots of people from different ages. People knew you for being the clever Wonwoo, meanwhile people sees me as the foolish and dimwit Nari. I did not even get bad marks with my education, rather I even got the highest marks but they say I cheated, they were too blind to see my smartness and I was too tired to fight back.

Every weekends, we would meet up wherever we want. And every weekends are the only days I can talk to you about my week at school. Even if I refused to tell you about my days at school and hide my feelings but you were able to tell me that something was wrong. You were still able to read my expressionless face and see my sad emotion through my eyes.

"It is not okay to hide your feelings, Lily. Who else are you showing it to if not me?" Your stare penetrated my eyes, and I felt like you were looking into my soul, "Han Nari, my Lily, we are still young and you do not deserve to be sad like this, you do not deserve to be called names,"

"Says the one who are being favoured," I said bitterly, you were shocked at my response that you slowly took a backstep. You scanned me from up to bottom, and you took a step closer to me again.

"Nari, what has gotten into you?" You said,

Tears were building up in my eyes and after having a war with my mind to not let my tears escape my eyes, I lost. My face was wet and I was sure you saw the glistening tears on my cheek even though it was night that time and we were by the ocean.

Your face showed a clear anger when I replied harshly to you, but I noticed how your face softened as soon as you saw my state. I was not calling for your attention, I swear. The tears were just there and it suddenly fell down, I did not ask for it. I did not ask myself to feel the pain and cry.

In a swift moment, you pulled me into a hug and I remembered you stroking my hair. I cried onto your shirt and it went like that for almost an hour. You did not complained, you did not utter a word even a single 'It's okay'. You were just there hugging me for a long time, letting me wet your shirt with my tears. You made me feel better by just giving the hug and your silence, it was enough for my comfort.

You wiped the remaining tears on my eyes and cheeks when I seemed to be done with my crying. I was starting to get better, I knew it felt better because all these times I was hiding it within myself, and even if I told you about it, I never cried like this.

It was too painful, Wonwoo. To be called names and being looked down to. I had no one else besides my mom, dad, and you. In addition, the only one who knew about this was you, only you. I did not tell my parents because that would be bothersome, but they have heard how people called me names inside school and out, except for the neighbours and the bookstore people.

"All you've gotta do is survive middle school and start new life in highschool, though it is possible you'll meet the same people there but you might be able to find new from my school. After all, the first year highschool students next year will consist of students from my school and yours," You finally said, I nodded at you and let out a sad smile. You lifted up my chin with the tip of your fingers, "However, if everyone treats you the same as now, remember that I'll be there. I'll be there with you to fight against those people, I will protect you. I will make nobody call you names."

"Wonwoo, that would be a waste of time," I shake my head in denial, "It's okay. You don't need to do that, being just my bestfriend is enough for me,"

"No," You raised your tone a little, but I saw how you tried to remained calm, "I will do whatever it takes to keep you and your feelings safe. I want you to grow up with joy. I want you to always look forward to your days with positivity. I don't want you to wake up one day with regrets of not being able to experience happiness, I don't want you to live in vain,"

I only let out a small laugh, "As usual, from a fourteen years old smart boy, Jeon Wonwoo," I leaned my head towards your chest. I understand that I might be going through that 'phase' and by phase I mean puberty, which is why I am being emotional, and you might be undergoing the phase too. But the fact that you are handling this well is what fascinates me a lot. You could have snapped back at my rude response and leave me to cry alone but no, you did not do all that. You stayed for me and you stood up for me. Even if you weren't experiencing the situation I'm in but you fought with me.

I never felt so thankful in my life,

"Of course, you are my bestfriend. My flower, My Lily, My Nari,"