Chapter 2: Promises from beyond (Promise)

"Cheers to another mission accomplished my friends!"

The sound of the wine glasses in the air was the most significant thing on that night for the group of heroes. It meant that the day had ended perfectly, without any problems or regrets. They had returned home safe and sound.

Mirio always liked to make little motivational speeches, showing the joy of being together with his closest friends. Every Friday they would meet at the same restaurant, where they would share small drinks and small menus, as well as summarize everything they had done that week.

"It's amazing how you have motivational words for every speech Mirio. And I like how you always highlight the good points about each of us. How cute." Nejire said after finishing her glass of wine.

"Thanks Nejire, it's always the thrill of the moment. Although well, for this week I wanted Tamaki to have the biggest congratulations. He's the reason we're here with a smile." Mirio said as he grabbed the back of his head with his free hand.

"You don't need to say that." Replied the indigo haired boy.

It had been a year since they graduated and there were some things that didn't change. While Mirio and Nejire had that outgoing and bright personality, Tamaki remained as the introverted and secretive boy. Of course, that didn't mean he was a mute machine or someone weak. He was part of the Big 3 in his class for a good reason, he showed unique combat skills because of the way he developed his Manifest quirk, and he liked to talk to his friends and certain students in class 2-A about certain random topics.

However, no matter how strong and remarkable Tamaki was, a comment could always instantly knock him down by his over-interpretation of things.

"Come on Tamaki, those weren't mean comments. That kid was simply saying that you looked great, and he was excited to see a hero up close."

"I don't know." Tamaki covered himself with his cape after hearing Mirio's words. "His look seemed to tell me that I was ugly and that my wings were no good."

Mirio watched his friend who was having a lack of confidence again. Hours ago, they had had a successful mission in which they rescued some children from a fire at a school. Tamaki was the lead in getting the children to safety while his friends secured the building, which made him the target of reporters and students when the situation was under control. A significant crowd of people, his biggest fear.

There was one boy in particular who was consumed with emotion after being saved by Suneater, which caused him to thank him with words of praise on camera as he hugged him tightly and joyfully described how great he looked with his quirk. Although he was highlighting with sincerity how awesome he was, Tamaki thought that this one was exaggerating and that maybe the kid was just doing it because he was in front of a camera.

Tamaki was still bad at interacting with certain groups of people, and that kid had made him very nervous. He didn't know how to respond to his compliments, in fact, he didn't know how to get him not to mention too many details about him. It had just been a simple rescue mission. He was lucky that his mother appeared a few minutes later, and when Tamaki saw that he was already safe, he went out hiding in his cape to see his friends.

"Oww dummy, you know you're not. Besides, like Mirio says, those wings make you look cool." Nejire tried to cheer him up.

At that moment, the food had arrived at the heroes' table. A plate of yakisoba for each of the customers, which was served in a spectacular way and accompanied by hot green tea. Everyone was now focused on filling their stomachs after a tiring afternoon, talking and relaxing amidst laughter and a good feast.

"You know Tamaki?" Mirio spoke again. "You need to get out of your bubble slowly but safely. Now that you're a professional hero, fame will haunt you one way or another."