Prologue

Around three hundred years ago

The witch sighed while looking at the woman dancing around in the fountain. Or woman was the wrong term. Faerie. But Rheseis didn't care about the clear annoyance on the witch's face. If anything it made her splash around in the water even more.

"You ought to be more careful," the witch hissed after having hurried forward. "People might start asking the wrong questions."

"I'm just having fun. You should try it sometimes," Rheseis answered and accidentally on purpose splashed some water onto the witch.

"You need to stop!" the witch insisted and grabbed hold of Rheseis' arm.

Rheseis felt the surge of fire within her, but simply sighed and let the witch led her out of the fountain and to an empty place in the park the fountain was located in.

"You faeries are so reckless," the witch mumbled while walking, more to herself than to Rheseis. "Most magical creatures are. That's why we need our laws. We witches seem to be the only ones that understand that though."

The fire burned even hotter in Rheseis, but she knew exactly how to manage it. The witch was number two after all and would have to do what Rheseis asked of her.

"Now. Run along back to your people and continue your dance there," Two shooed Rheseis and turned to walk away.

"Actually, I want to talk to you. Or more exactly I want the Halo of Darkness." Rheseis bent down and picked flowers.

"You... You want what?" Two asked turning back.

"The Halo of Darkness," Rheseis repeated, continuing her picking of flowers.

"What makes you think I have it?"

"I was there when it fell into your great grandmother's hands and I would assume that your family wouldn't have parted with such a precious item."

"If we say you're right. Then why would I give it to you?"

"Because of a request that was asked of me a long time ago." Rheseis snapped her fingers and the flowers she'd picked started intertwining themselves into a crown and landed on the witch's head.

"What request?" Two snarled and hit the flower crown off her head.

Rheseis' eyes turned to slits.

"Do you not like my gift?" she asked, keeping the venom out of her voice.

"I'd rather you answered my questions."

Rheseis simply shook her head and pouted her lips. "But I put effort into making that one pretty for you."

"Just answer my question, faerie!" Two yelled.

"Okay, okay," Rheseis sighed. "The request to stop five powerful witches from take over the high priestesshood. I hope you do know about that."

The witch froze and then immediately dropped all of the antagonism that she had had towards Rheseis.

"Of course. You should have said so straight away. Of course, you can have the Halo of Darkness. It's in my home. Follow me."

And they set off.

Rheseis danced around as much as she could on the walk there. She danced over to strangers and twirled them around. Placed kisses on random people's cheeks. Made all flowers she passed bloom in a way flowers never bloomed. All the while the witch had her jaw closed tight as to not say anything to offend the faerie.

When they reached the witch's home she looked and looked in her bag for her keys, but could not find them.

"Where have they gone?" she mumbled as she searched.

Rheseis suppressed a giggle, since she knew that the witch would never be able to find any keys she would need ever again.

"Allow me to open the door," Rheseis said instead and snapped her fingers. The door slid open.

Next was a glass box which contained the mighty Halo, the key to which did not hang in its usual spot. When Rheseis had opened the glass box with magic and the Halo was in her hands, the faerie placed a kiss on the witch's cheek.

"It's been a pleasure meeting you," she said before she danced away.