Chapter 78 Uncreative lies

Crimson

-----

I hadn't reflected over the amount of time that had passed while I had been inside the Library, but judging by the faint light behind the clouds, it was day time. If I had been in any state to, I maybe would have reflected upon the ominous feeling the gathering clouds casted over the treetops. But my mind was on a whole lot of other things.

I teleported myself straight to the coven's headquarters. If I had stopped to consider what day it was, then maybe I would have realized what I would find there. But I had not, and frankly, I probably wouldn't have.

I walked into the mansion. All the rooms I passed were lit only by flickering candles and the air was thick with magic. The rooms were all empty until I came to the heart of the mansion, the alter room.

I flung the doors open and every single witch in the coven turned to look at me. They stood in neat rows, except for the Priestess that was behind the alter, she held our ritual goblet in her hands. They all looked like frozen statues while staring at me.

It was Samhain, the beginning of winter. A perfect day to speak of the dead.

Saida stepped out from the rows and went up to me. There was a look of terror in her eyes that I did not understand, but that also felt insignificant.

"Crimson, let's step outside and talk," she urged me and tried to push me out the doors, but I wouldn't budge. My eyes were locked on the Priestess that looked back with wide eyes.

"We need to talk," I told her. My voice came out low and rough and reminded me of how Lamech's voice sometimes sounded when he was upset.

My words seemed to snap them all out of their frozen states as they averted their eyes from mine and started whispering among themselves.

"I can see that," the Priestess answered and her voice was as haughty as always but I could detect a faint scent of fear coming from her. "But it will have to wait."

"No. We will talk now," I answered and realized that my voice became more and more of a growl.

"This is hardly the time for it," the Priestess answered with a scoff, but I took a step forward, not planning on backing down. I don't think I would have been capable to independent on anything.

I watched her shuffling backwards.

"Did you do it?" I asked her. "Did you kill my parents?"

She didn't answer immediately and that made the whispers around me finally reach my ears and penetrate my mind.

"Her eyes."

"How is it possible?"

"They look like theirs."

It was at that moment that I realized that the protection of the Halo had completely worn off. The magic that had been kept secret in my eyes had been released and by the sound of it, my eyes were red by the anger I felt.

"I do not know what has happened to you, Crimson. But it seems like you are rather unwell," the Priestess said, ignoring the obvious truth and showing off what a great actress she was. If I hadn't been able to smell the adrenaline, hear her rapid heartbeat, see the beads of sweat, I would have thought her unaffected and calm. "Kendra, Meredith. Take Crimson away so she can rest."

"Yes, Priestess," Kendra and her best friend Meredith mumbled and moved from their positions to take hold of me. The second they touched me, I flung them backwards and away from me by magic. Kendra hit the wall behind the Priestess and fell onto the floor, gasping for air. Meredith hit the alter with her head and went unconscious. All the other witches became completely still, completely silent.

"Lies, I see," I scoffed at the Priestess. "Well then, at least try to make them creative and believable. They weren't disturbing you in any way, were they? So why did you have my mother and father killed? Was him being a vampire really such a big deal?"

There was a collective intake of breath and a familiar hand took a hold of mine.

"Crimson, let's leave," Saida whispered, she had moved when the two witches had moved forward to grab me so she stood behind me. I decided to completely ignore her.

"I don't know what type of stories you've been listening to, but we all know what you're saying is impossible. You would not be a witch if your father was a vampire," the Priestess said and finally there was a trace of panic in her voice.

"I like making the impossible true," I laughed coldly. "But I'm getting bored with your lies, so I'm only giving you one more chance. Tell me the truth about what happened and your reasoning for killing them."

"Who have you met? Who did this to you, Crimson? Someone must have put a curse on you."

I pulled my hand from Saida's and flew forward to the Priestess. Before she had any time to react, I had her pressed against the wall, my hand around her throat. I squeezed tightly and relished in watching her scratch at my arm and kick out with her legs to get away. And that panicked look in her eyes as she got no air down her lungs, it was a beautiful sight to my anger.

But I had hardly time to enjoy it before magic forced me away. I turned to find who that had attacked me and saw all of the witches look at me in anger.

What followed took less time than I would ever admit. In my angry frenzy, I was no match for the twenty or so witches that all attacked as one. They beat me down in the blink of an eye, held me pressed against the floor by magic while producing iron chains that they restrained me with. Then they brought me to the prison.

 Then they brought me to the prison