20

"Are you ever going to tell me what you and your parents argued about?" I asked Knox a few days later.

I sat criss-crossed at the top of my bed, facing him as he laid on his back with his crossed arms covering his closed eyes. He had still been as off as he had been when I first saw him a few days before. He continuously tried to play it off since then - pretend nothing was bothering him - but I could tell.

"You wouldn't like it." His voice was gruff and partially muffled by his arms.

I frowned, looking down at my hands as they fiddled in my lap.

"But it's been bothering you..." I whispered, trailing off.

I couldn't help feeling slightly discouraged. 

I had confided in Knox before and I couldn't help wishing he would do the same. Even if it was an unfair expectation, I wanted him to know that I'm here for him and I wanted him to feel comfortable telling me how he's feeling. Obviously I don't want to force him but it was a bit hurtful that he was so resistant.

"Is it what you've been arguing about with Sean and Liam?" I pried further, my voice timid as I was afraid of crossing a line.

Ever since our pool day at Liam's, the air between them all has still been filled with tension. I frequently thought back to their conversation that I still failed to understand. I tried filling in the blanks but could never manage to fit the pieces together.

I had grown hyper aware of the tense and challenging looks that the three boys shot at each other throughout the school day. They weren't doing a very good job at hiding them even if they were good at hiding the reason behind it.

Knox sighed and dragged a hand down his face.

"Annie..." Knox groaned, "I appreciate your concern but I'm trying to protect you from this fucking mess."

"Please just let me be there for you." I pleaded under my breath, my last attempt at cracking his shell.

I held his eye as he studied me before he looked away and sat back up. He didn't look at me again, instead leaning over with his elbows resting on his knees.

"Liam, Sean, and I all compete in street races." Knox finally confessed.

My eyebrows shot up. Out of all things he could have said, this was the last thing I had expected.

"At first we started out cause it was fun for us. I mean fast cars, money, and the rush of doing something illegal..." He paused, sighing before continuing, "I guess it just became a habit. But I was starting to get tired of it and maybe Liam was a bit too - even if he'd never admit it. I mean the money has always been a plus but it's not something I need that badly - not as bad as Sean. His mom got sick last year and it's been really hard on their whole family. Racing earns him a lot more than working minimum wage would and having all three of us race makes it more likely at least one of us will win something. We usually split it evenly between us after."

Knox sighed again, finally turning his head to look at me. "As for my parents - my relationship with them is...complicated. They know about the racing and they definitely don't like it. That used to make me only want to do it more but now I think it'd be easier if I just stop."

"But then Sean..." I filled in, frowning as my mind worked to wrap around the predicament that has been plaguing Knox.

"But then Sean doesn't win as often as me - or even as often as Liam - so he'd be losing the money he needs." Knox finished.

I sat absorbing his words for what felt like endless minutes. Picking between saving his friendship or saving his relationship with his parents couldn't be an easy choice. I certainly didn't envy Knox's position.

"I'm really sorry." I offered, trying and failing to think of anything else to say that would make this situation better.

Knox shrugged, "I promised one more race. We'll figure it out after that."

I nodded, stilling wringing my hands in my lap.

"You're not upset about the racing?" Knox asked a second later, his head tilting to the side. A small spark of vulnerability danced in his eyes before it was gone.

I loosed a breath, thinking for only a moment before shaking my head. "No...It makes me nervous, but it's your choice."

I could visibly see some of the tension release from his shoulders as I spoke. He laid down on his back again, his entire body instantly much more relaxed.

"When is the race?" A slight gnawing grew in the pit of my stomach as I built up the courage to ask.

"Next Saturday." Knox said, blowing the word out in a breath.

"Can I come?" I asked, speaking the words quickly - before I could have time to hesitate and stop myself from speaking them entirely.

Knox stilled, the steady rise and fall of his chest paused for a long beat.

"No." He said a moment later, his tone firm and forceful.

"But why." I pouted slightly.

"It's not a place for you, Annie. It's not happening." He ground out. He sat up now, tugging me by my leg to pull me to his side.

I squeaked, "Bu-"

"It's crowded. Most people there are boys. And I won't be with you." Knox cut me off, taking hold of my face. His eyes were dark as they flared, daring me to continue arguing with him.

"I promise I'll be good." I pleaded out in a whisper. Jutting out my bottom lip and putting on my best puppy-dog eyes, I all but begged.

Knox's jaw twitched, his fingers flexed on my face. His eyes roamed around my face - he was thinking.

"You will do everything I say." He finally ground out through his teeth.

My eyes widened as I tried to nod my head but his hold on my face firmly kept me still.

"I have a couple friends you can watch with who will keep you safe. But I mean it, everything I say. If you so much as blink wrong, I can promise you won't like what I'll do."

I gulped and tried nodding but was yet again prevented.

"Words." Knox all but ordered.

"I will do everything you say...I promise." I breathed.

Knox hummed, brushing his lips against mine in a ghost of a kiss before pulling away and releasing my face. 

He laid back down, once again shutting his eyes as I gulped. My heart was fighting to break out of my chest and my mind was shooting all over the place. As I sat there trying to comprehend what I use got myself into, I found myself wondering how bad it could truly be.