Chapter 16

The next stop arrived quickly. Nothing too eventful, except for the sandstorm that put the group in a bit of a handicap.

The zombies were all builders, so the melee fighters were mobilized. While clearing up the bulletproof workers, a lone distinct one stood behind the pack. A metal pipe lodged in his body.

Lester: That one bulletproof too?

Lester asked, pointing at the one behind the barricade after having insisted he join the combatants as a precaution and to redeem himself from the barely winning fight with the cops earlier.

Mark takes a look after bashing one's head in.

Mark: Yeah. Especially them. That is a foreman. Builders might die, but never let anything happen to the man in that position.

Mark: He's the one linking us to the higher-ups. That guy's like our senses. He dies? We're basically blind, deaf, and mute during projects.

Mark humorously explains as Lester walks past him.

Lester: I guess he died first. That's why these fuckers are dead too.

Lester laughs, kicking a nearby rock to the barricade.

The thing's head snaps toward him before moving. The foreman lightly jogged at first, slowly picking up speed. And with the sandstorm on its back, Lester's smile disappeared.

Lester fired his shotgun, aiming to push it back with force. The bullets did nothing to the bulletproof safety vest and didn't disrupt its sprint.

Seeing how it ate his attack, Lester turns around and tries to run, but the wind makes him fall.

Lester: Oh fuck! Paul! Paul!

Lester shouted, trying to get back up.

Paul waddles his way toward Lester, trapped under the harsh winds. The lumberjack wasn't affected, though.

He arrived at Lester just in time and, with a hearty swing, cleaved the foreman in half mid-sprint. The two parts were thrown by the wind.

Diaz: That lumberjack is something.

Diaz commented. He was one, if not the most powerful member in his station. Yet he has never seen power such as this.

Lester finally stands up, seeing the amused faces of the units with him.

Lester: Fucking sandstorm... that fucking construction worker.

He grumbled, picking his gun up and quickly returning to the van.

Paul was about to follow but was blocked by Russel.

Russel: We need your help on the barricade. It'll make it a lot easier with you around.

Paul nods.

Paul: Sure.

The group worked on the barricade and immediately got it open.

With a signal to Lester and Paul, you continue driving to the next area to save time.

You: We can make it before sunset.

And made it the group did.

Though, unlike the other stopovers, this one was more drastic.

A military personnel on the verge of death is lying on the bumper of a broken-down Humvee. You quickly run out with Pepper, first aid in hand.

Two aidmen, zombified firefighters, slowly advance but are immediately fought by Glenn and Michael.