Chapter 10

You park the bus and see only three zombies in the area.

You: Thank God there's not much resistance out here.

You say, happy to finally see an almost open area after dealing with hordes and hordes.

Norton: We like to keep the front of our station clean and free of the undead. Makes it more welcoming for any passerby that might need shelter or help.

You: Anyone up for some zombie cleanup?

You ask for volunteers.

Diaz: We'll handle this. We learned that the infection had mutated in Lamos; had some nasty effects.

Dale: How are we to learn how to fight new variants if you all are trying to keep us holed up here like we're civilians.

Diaz is about to argue, but Norton stops him.

Norton: He's right, Diaz, they're as capable as we are, and we'll only make them more reliant if we keep trying to protect them.

Norton: As the kid says, this group has no leader. Everyone has to lift their own weight. We joined this group, so I suggest we follow it.

You give a thankful nod to Norton. We need to cooperate and not undermine each other's capabilities.

Norton: Glenn, Diaz, and I will go inside to retrieve the key to the dump. I'll leave the glory kills to our new friends.

Diaz: We need four people on backup.

Aiden, Pepper, Russel, and Dale volunteer.

Russel: Why do we need to be on standby?

Russel asks, knowing zombies aren't that responsive when the target is out of reach.

Glenn: You'll see.

The four volunteers ready their weapons.

Norton: Now!

Norton shouts as he and his two companions step off the bus. The other four watch in horror as the two infected women's necks snap toward them, running at inhuman speeds.

The three new recruits go for their goal, running inside the station while the four volunteers stand their ground as the two zombies dash toward them.

Russel, in the front, couldn't believe his eyes when the girl was almost close to him already. It jumps as Russel raises his shovel in defense, being pushed back by the attack.

Aiden's quick thinking helps them as he runs into action, cleaving the zombified woman with his axe. To his surprise, the zombie's thick skin stopped his weapon from going deeper.

He pulls it out, kicking the zombie down before stepping away.

Pepper raises her gun and sends two bullets into the open wound Aiden made, killing the zombie.

She breathes out in relief, but it is short-lived as the next one pounces toward her. Pepper shot it in the head, but the zombie didn't flinch.

A shotgun blast echoes through the area as the zombified girl gets pushed back, its stomach now mutilated. Aiden runs towards it and shouts, bringing his axe down on its neck with all the power he can muster.

Russel: They weren't lying when they said these things are on a whole different level.

Dale: At least we know now how difficult these things can be. Next time we'll be ready.