𝐓𝐄𝐍

Reflection - The Neighbourhood
..
HOURS LATER.
   The four of you stand in front of the train, spouting steam from its pipes. "What the hell is this creature?" Inosuke flails his arms around as he observes the train. He runs up and down the length of the vehicle before skidding to a stop in front of the three of you.

   "See how long it is? So intimidating! No mistakes! It looks like it's asleep right now, but don't let your guard down!" You pinch the bridge of your nose at his exaggeration and Zenitsu glares at him. "No, it's a train. Don't you know?" Inosuke shuts him up by smothering his face with his hand and grabs onto his swords, preparing to attack.

   "Wait, Inosuke! You never know, it might be the guardian deity of this land. Also, you shouldn't attack all of a sudden." Tanjiro calmly states to Inosuke, causing him to stop his actions. "Tanjiro, why are you endorsing his idiocy?" You face palm and he slightly smirks at your words.

   "No, it's a train. It's a vehicle for transporting people. You country bumpkin." Zenitsu dumbs it down for the two of them. Inosuke wanders off towards the people waiting for the train before punching the air and letting out a war cry. "Coming through!" He announces, before running head first into the train.

..

You find the four of you boarding the train after Inosuke's ridiculous act. The passengers gawked at you in disbelief that the lot of you were to serve their country and keep them safe. You smile sheepishly and follow Tanjiro's lead to the second section of the train. The people sleep peacefully, chests slowly rising and falling as the four of you carefully walk down the aisle.

As expected, Inosuke breaks the peace by lunging at a window, slapping his hands against the cold glass and cackling manically at the blurred objects outside. "Sorry, gentlemen!" Zenitsu rubs the back of his head nervously as the men jump and furrow their eyebrows. "What are you doing? Get over here." He mutters sternly under his breath to Inosuke. "Let go of me!" He wails, flailing his arms around as he is dragged away from the booths.

"No home training, whatsoever." You groan under your breath and pinch the bridge of your nose. Tanjiro turns around and smiles at you sweetly, outstretching his arm to wrap around your shoulders. You slip underneath his arm and hold on with both hands to secure yourself. The muscles in his arm twitch as he holds you tight, chuckling at your squished cheek against his chest. The warmth omits from his body and you find yourself melting into his comforting presence.

"Nervous?" He whispers, close enough to your temple that his warm breath beats against your skin. You feel blood rush to your cheeks and turn up to look at him. Your noses brush against each others slightly, and he adverts his head to avoid contact. "No.. you?"

"No.." He mumbles, facing the other side of the train. His jaw twitches and you watch his cheeks flush before turning back to you. "Why would I? I have you to protect me." You smile sweetly at him. "Damn right."

Once the two boys catch up, Tanjiro slips his arm from around your neck and instead, interlocks your arms. You turn to Zenitsu and scoff at the smug look on his face. He's dragging Inosuke by the waistband while he gawks out of the windows he's dragged past.

"This Rengoku, he's a Hashira, right? You sure you'll recognize him?" Zenitsu tugs at the collar of his uniform, desperate for reassurance. "Yeah. Along with his fiery hair, I remember his scent, too." Tanjiro speaks, voice smooth as he walks down the aisle. "I'll tell you when I see him." He flashes a genuine smile at Zenitsu and reaches for the handle to the next section.

"UMAI!"

The booming voice on the other side of the door makes the four of you jump. You reach for the door and throw it open, peering inside. "Umai!" The man with a fiery head of hair shouts again, his hair falling over his broad shoulders. The attendant chuckles nervously at his act and pushes another bento box towards him. "Umai! Umai!" The four of you creep behind him slowly, cautious of his bold voice.