Chapter Thirty-One: The Rebel Call

"Proof is trust."

—Old Damastar Proverb

For two days Zaina went about her business at Hobst's shop. Everything was done early in case Reida came back. After helping Hobst close the shop for the night, she'd walk home and spend the rest of her time in Sister Tyza's facility. Otmonzas, as far as Zaina was concerned, consisted of these two places and the walk between them.

The third night looked to be no different. Sitting behind the counter, Zaina rested her hand on her chin. The storefront was pristine—she had more than enough free time to see to that. Today had been so boring she'd wanted to clean to pass the time. Only two people had been in all day, and neither bought anything.

She cast a glance toward the shop in the back, cringing as a metallic whirring rang out. I wonder how he stays afloat with so few customers?

The final minutes of the day were counting down. It wasn't long before Hobst burst into the shop, performed his nightly once-around, and told her to go home. After saying goodnight, Zaina made for the door. Another day, and nothing from Reida.

Hopefully she's okay. I hope Bilvane's androids didn't get her.

She didn't put it past them. Still, she was a little disappointed. Maybe she yearned for the adventure—or the chance to control her destiny. It mattered little now; all she could do was live her life and wait.

Before she made it out the door, Hobst's voice called after her. "Oh, by the way—Zaina!"

"Yeah?" she asked, pivoting to face him.

"News on your ship: it's all done."

She blinked. "All done? You mean—"

He grunted. "Up and running. Fully operational. That includes the glyph inside. Wordy little bugger. Keeps asking after a 'Giramodo.'"

Cool, soothing relief flooded her system. Finally, some good news. "Yeah, Gizmo can be a trip."

Another grunt. "Now—on the issue of payment."

She tensed up. This was the conversation she'd dreaded. How long did she have to spend here?

"Now," he said, "I know you're in a bad way, kid, but I like the way you work. I'll pay you my top rate. At that rate, it'd take a full two years of wages to pay for the parts and labor I put into that ship of yours."

Zaina's heart sank. Two years? But—I only have ten to be a lancer, right? And two more years of—this?

He raised his hand. "I know, I know, that's an awful lot of your time. And I know you've got places to be. So, I'll tell you what. Let's say you stay for three months. Keep helping me out, and I'll count all your hours worked toward your debt. In three months' time, we'll part ways."

A sigh of relief escaped from her lips. "Thank you, Hobst."

"That wordy glyph," he said, "mentioned something about Kaado. You working with a High Lancer. That true?"

She grimaced. "I think 'worked with' is kind of a stretch. I didn't know him very long, but he was my friend—that's how I think of him. I like to think he thought of me the same way."

Hobst grunted. "Never met a lancer myself. Heard a lot of stories."

She stepped all the way inside and closed the shop door. This was the most Hobst had said to her...well, ever. She had to see what this was about. "If you don't mind me asking—why are you helping me?"

He scratched his head and adjusted his glasses. Then he shrugged. "You know, I owe Sister Tyza a couple of favors. She does good work here. You may go on to do great work—but not if you stay here."