Chapter 100: The Dark Lady

"The Seven Great Enclaves are perhaps the greatest and most forgotten of the many dangers facing this Nova Rim. No doubt they are preparing for our demise—the council even has intelligence indicating there is some level of coordination between these disparate enclaves. If they were to revolt, we may have another Heretic Empire on our hands."

—Opinion of General Ragus Malthrow in a JIAHC debate

Zaina was taken aback, unsure of what to make of what the woman had said. "What—what do you mean?"

The woman smiled. "The unmarked would have you believe we found one of Savon's old Shatterers or some other superweapon—but if they knew what we've really found, the Synatorium would already have sent every army they could muster. What we've really found is so much bigger than any power buried beneath eons of dirt—that's all I'll say for know."

None of that made much sense, but Zaina went with it. "Okay."

"Now," the woman said, "tell me, how did you hear about our little enclave here?"

"From another marked," Zaina replied. "After Demelia was destroyed I went from world to world, trying to survive however I could—I found a small village where our kind are accepted. A few of the marked there told me about this place."

"You didn't happen to catch their names, did you?"

"No," Zaina said, wondering why this woman was asking so many questions. "I didn't stay there long."

"Any particular reason you were in such a hurry to leave?" the woman pressed.

Zaina's mouth twitched. She was having to come up with lie after lie—this wasn't her strong suit. "I don't know. It didn't feel like home."

The woman gave Zaina a knowing look. "It's tough, when the marked and unmarked try to live together. I applaud those who do try, but too often the unmarked are unable to move past their suspicion, which always turns to hatred in the end. I learned that a long time ago."

"You don't think we can coexist with them?"

"I've thought it and been proven wrong too many times to keep believing," the woman said, her voice tainted with a deep sorrow. "Well, either way, you chose the perfect time to come. I'm not sure how much you know about our situation, but let's say we're in the endgame of a very long struggle."

"I don't know a whole lot, to be honest," Zaina said, hoping she sold it.

The woman chuckled and gestured toward the enclave's mining project. "This must all be a bit much for you."

"Yeah, it's not quite what I expected."

The woman nodded. "Desperate times, as they say. But I'm glad you found your way to us." She stood, her leg giving a metallic squeal, and then turned to Zaina and asked, "And tell me—why are you here? What is it you want?"

Zaina thought about how to answer for a moment, wanting to be as honest as possible. "I came here looking for peace."

"Peace. Well, I'm sorry for what you've found, but that isn't quite the answer I was looking for."

Zaina's heart skipped a beat. She was beginning to think this woman was Sivanya—her calm elegance came with an air of authority. And if this woman wasn't buying her story, she was in for a short—and rough—mission.

The woman continued, "I suppose I should have asked how long you're planning to stay."

"I—I don't have anywhere else to go," Zaina said sheepishly. "I think I'd stay as long as I could."