Chapter Forty-Two: Failures of Otmonzas

"Life is unfair; but sometimes, when the stars align just so, it can be unfair in our favor."

—Ald Hraseran, in his non-fiction book, Proverbs and Parables from Across the Stars

Zaina leaned against the wall of her cramped metal cell. Her clothes had been taken from her. The gray shirt and pants she was given were made from rough, heavy fabric. How much time had passed—a day? Two?

There were no windows—the only furnishings she had were a wooden bucket and a paper-thin blanket made of scratchy material. Not that blankets or pillows would do her any good here; even with her legs tucked in, there wasn't enough room to lie down.

When she passed out from exhaustion, she was sitting with her back pressed against the cold wall. The blanket barely covered her legs. Her entire body ached after the previous day's events, and not being able to stretch it out only made things worse.

She woke to a loud rapping on the cell door. Startled, she yelped and jumped to her feet.

"Ah! What's going on?"

A robotic voice answered from the other side of the door, "Prisoner 752-84-ZXQV-BT-34A, you have been designated for questioning. Please stand back from the door and present your wrists for binding."

Zaina sighed and did as she was told, hanging her head. The door, one solid piece of metal, swung inward, nearly hitting her hands. A gray-and-black android waited on the other side with a pair of mag-cuffs, which were immediately used to bind her.

"Come with me," the android said.

She grumbled, "Not like I have much of a choice, is it?"

"Audio sensors unable to process—"

"It's nothing."

The android turned without another word. Zaina followed right behind it, and two more androids tagged along to either side of her. All three carried birifles.

They walked through a narrow, windowless facility—every five feet, on every wall, was an identical door to the one from Zaina's cell. The cells were stacked in columns, with metal walkways and stairs to navigate the complex. She glanced upward—the ceiling was out of sight. Just a wall of doors and skeletal metal framework.

The only sound was the clanking of the androids' feet against the metal walkways. Zaina didn't protest; as far as she was concerned, she belonged here.

But I do wonder what their questions are about.

At this point, it didn't matter. Reida and her captain were probably long gone from Otmonzas. Whatever justice might have been had was gone with them.

I was the only one who could have stopped them.

Zaina winced. How could she let herself be deceived like that? Part of her was embarrassed for being tricked, and another part was spiteful toward Reida; but mostly, she felt guilt. How many people were dead because she wanted to get offworld faster? The thought tormented her.

After an hour of walking down stairs, they finally led Zaina to the bottom of the prison complex. The doors in this row were spread further apart and had large sections replaced with hyper-glass. Each room featured odd chairs with numerous restraints.

She sighed. I should've taken the three months at Hobst's shop. That'd be nothing compared to this. And at least I'd have a bed at Sister Tyza's. Plus, all those people might still be alive...

The androids led Zaina to one of the doors, which swung inward. Inside was the chair, which she was told to sit in. Metal restraints clamped down on her arms, legs, and torso to hold her in place; they tightened enough to constrain her breathing a little. On the opposite wall, on either side of the door, were two small desks with much more comfortable-looking chairs behind them. In the room's center was a circular machine with a cylindrical metal apparatus extending upward.