Chapter 75

James

When I woke up the day after that wretched meeting, I found myself alone in bed. I looked up to see if Elestren had gone to the bathroom but no. I sighed and climbed out of the bed. I hoped she was alright. She kept saying she was fine but I had had a mindlink conversation with Cat on the way home the day before who had told me everything. Humphrey and Barnett would be regretting their behaviour, at least Peter had the good sense to intervene when he did. I had tried to mindlink her after that to tell I was going home but she had blocked me, she had blocked everything. I couldn't even feel her emotions. That was so strange, it was surely linked to her being able to read my mind, and her other mindlinking abilities. How could she block the bond from flooding me with her emotions? When I had arrived in the garden, she was destroying that punching bag, the oak was vibrating from her assaults, when the hinge snapped I knew she intended to attack it again so I had embraced her. The second I touched her, she relaxed instantly and all the emotions came rushing back and it was a lot.

When the smell of food reached my nose, I relaxed and realized she was just downstairs cooking. I went quietly downstairs and when I arrived in the kitchen I just looked at her. She was cooking French crepes with headphones in her ears. She was wearing only one of my larger tee shirts and big fuzzy socks. When she was waiting for the crepes to cook she used the spatula as a Maestro's baton directing an imaginary orchestra. I could hear the music she was listening too, La Traviata. It had become my comfort music as well, each time I listened to it I remembered the first time she told me she loved me and how happy and whole that made me feel.

"You know I can feel you staring at me, right?" she said in her relaxed teasing voice still cooking. She was really fine. As I walked closer to her she put her headphones down on the counter and looked at me with a smile.

"I didn't know you could make French crepes" I told her will kissing her shoulder.

"Well neither did I, it's actually pretty easy. Mrs. Lambert explained it to me earlier and sent me the recipe."

"Earlier? What time is it?" I asked.

"It's nine, but Mrs. Lambert always wakes up at five, I swear this woman never sleeps. So I called her around eight, and we had a bit of chat. Then I talked to Ori, and the phone was passed down, I think I said hello to everyone living in the packhouse of Yew Tree Pack, it was fun. They all say hi to you as well. Mrs. Lambert said that if you were treating me like a fifties housewife and making me cook you your meals she would, and I quote, come to Lycan Territory and spank your royal ass." She chuckled.

"Oh did she now?"

"Consider yourself lucky. I think this is the most graphic Mrs. Lambert can be, whereas, had it been, Mrs Lloyd, it would have been a whole other story. I really want you to meet Mrs. Lloyd, she is the head omega and she used to be my nanny. She is the one who took half of the pictures on my wall. Come on now, sit, for once, let me do something for you." I obliged. I feared she was just trying to make me forgive her for last night, but there was nothing to forgive. How could she not see that? She frowned when she brought me the crepes.

"What?" I asked. Fuck did she hear that? Fuck. She chuckled. Yes, she definitely heard that.

"I'm no trying to make you forgive me, I just want to do something nice for you because I love you." I smiled like an idiot. No matter how many times she told me she loved me, it always made me feel fuzzy.

After breakfast, I wanted to stay with her, after that day I wanted to be with her but she had other plans and insisted I didn't bail on the meetings I had planned with one of the human companies I co-owned with Malcolm. But that would mean I would not have a chance to see her before the ball.