The Isle of Dragons and The Land of Giants IV

"Hold on," Blind Pete's voice boomed from the hull.

Knox looked up. A thick fog laid ahead. Even though the sails were up and there was no wind, they suddenly barreled towards the fog so fast he had to hold onto the edge of the boat for balance.

"Ready now," the old man warned.

When they entered the fog, all their ears popped. The sun was blocked out by large gray clouds that were churning and writhing like a snakes in a bag.

Light began to fill the sky, electric currents running through the clouds like veins. They made all the hair on Knox's body stand up as they pulsed through the rolling clouds.

The temperature began to drop, he could hear his and the others teeth begin to chatter. They were not used to this ice cold that fell over them like a sudden wave, it was a shock to their bodies.

After an hour or so of icy wind and fog, Knox began to see islands on either side of the boat.

At that exact moment the ship slowed suddenly to almost a full stop.

Knox had thought the ship had stopped because most of the men struggled to stay aboard the ship, but it coasted slowly onward.

On the shore nearest him, to the right of the boat, was a human skull. Or at least it looked human. One of it's teeth was the size of Knox, and Knox was in no way a small man.

The skull of a Giant.

The skull was covered in moss and plants. A huge tree grew from it's eye. It was an omen, he thought.

He'd learned of omens as a boy during his travels. He'd encountered an old traveler that held close to him only two stones. One white, one black. He'd told the young boy that they held answers to questions few dared ask.

"Those are the most important type of questions," the man had said, "the ones you fear the answer of the most. Though most of the time you already know the answer deep down. The stones just help you realize it."

The man had also explained that omens existed throughout the world, in everything. He'd told Knox stories of omens found in some of the places and situations you'd least expect them.

"That's the thing about omens," he'd told Knox, "they often show themselves not when we want them, but when we need them."

At the time Knox had asked what the difference was but as he grew he began to understand the older man's words. They rang true.

"Once you learn how to read omens and understand them, you will be able to navigate the world without fear." The old man had helped Knox understand a problem he'd been trying to solve for a long time, not by telling the answer or even giving him the path to get to the answer, but by pointing out the omens and helping the boy translate them. It was the best gift he'd been given.

The skull is a strong omen. It has many meanings and until he finds more omens, he'll have to wait to know what is the right answer. Because the thing is, omens are rarely a singular occurrence. They usually group together to guide the person to the answer.

He looks up at the tall, rocky mountains dusted with snow above him. They were so large they disappeared into the clouds, green foliage and pine trees covered the ground. The shores were not sand but mud. A deep earthy tone. It smelled fresh and what could only be described as woodsy.

On the island to the left he saw a few deer drinking from the ocean. A few young fauns watched them go by-ready to run.

He looked down at the water, the fog had lessened and he could now see rocks at the base of the water. It was so clear, a fresh water ocean.

All the legends had told of it, that around the dragon Isle and now the land of giants too, that there was a freshwater ocean. It was said to be filled with water that was crisp and clear and refreshing.

He'd looked up again, this time noticing some caves in the rock faces above them. They looked small from where they stood but he knew they were quite large after all, the were home to the dragons.

The Isle of Dragons was a place that held not just one or two, but thousands of dragons. Each island could easily hold a few hundred but they often kept their homes hidden in caves and in areas hidden from anyone who managed to stubble in.

You see, dragons are a people that tend to keep to themselves. They are already relatively lonely beings. They sometimes would meet with others of their own kind but seemed to avoid humans at all cost.

So, when a dragon broke through the writhing clouds, splitting them in half and barreling directly towards them at full speed, it made even Knox jump.

The dragon swooped down, the electric sky casting a colorful light across the beasts wings, like that of the stained glass windows of the eastern churches on the priests.

It gracefully landed on the from of the ship. It was huge and intimidating, Knox was taken over by a sense that he recognized this dragon, though he'd only ever seen one.

Could it be? He asked himself. Could she have saved me the trouble of finding her?

The dragon slowly began to transform as it walked closer to the men, from the large terrifying beast into a small woman. Most would likely believe her to be in her early 20s. She was short and thin with long white hair she kept in a slender braid down her back. Her dress was much too light for the cold weather, but the Dragons fire warmed her from the inside, so any more than the light cotton was unnecessary. Her face was young as well, not a wrinkle on it but her eyes were ageless. Something older than time itself, yet still held an eternal youth.

The Old Queen. He smiled.

To be continued...

December 23, 2023