The Isle of Dragons and The Land of Giants

It was a beautiful kingdom, The Kingdom of Gold. It was dry and hot. A place filled with sand and wind, but in the cities and towns it was green and filled with life. Water sprung up from the earth in large fountains of gold and jewels.

The water was said to have healing properties and so I'll traveled from all over to drink it and it was said even those who were carried in in the morning would be dancing by the end of the night.

The people of the kingdom were beautiful  too. They had dark tanned skin and short hair. They covered themselves in fine silks and jewels. Gold was their nickname because even the poorest man in the kingdom still wore his gold jewelry. They were a small but wealthy country and they had no shame showing off their wealth.

They were not a people of war anymore, they were a people that traded in gold and precious stones. They had the richest mines in the continent, that would never run dry.

After all, they were blessed by God.

Everyone had sat fat and happy in their riches for generations, no longer the fierce warriors that had fought long and hard for their land and won Gods favor and blessings by doing so.

Those warriors had wanted only for the future generations to not have to fight, for them to live peacefully, and not want for anything. That is what they'd fought for.

And those warriors descendents lived like that exactly. They lived in peace with a happiness and pride that made them famous along with their jewels.

It was said that if you married a man or woman of Gold that your life would be filled happiness, good fortune and riches.

No other nations dared to conquer them because of their allies and wealth. They were a peaceful, happy people. They were safe.

The people danced, day and night in the city streets. They drank till they passed out and sang till their voices were horse. Their festivals were often and big.

Even the royalty played along. They held partys, often flaunting their wealth. They did little else besides enjoy themselves, all except for Prince Knox.

He was the eldest son of the royal family and next in line for the throne and unlike all those around him, he did not take his luxuries for granted.

He looked up to the warriors painted on the walls of the palace, the statues of gold in the town squares, he looked at his ancestors with pride and wanted to be strong and capable like them. He thought the kingdoms people now were far too spoiled. They'd gotten comfortable, the thing all story's warned of.

So, he taught himself from books how to fight and about military strategy. He traveled all over the content to find teachers and soldiers.

He worked hard to build a military, and to protect the kingdom. He became a great diplomat, the nobility from the other kingdoms adored him and often would send letters asking for his advice with problems related to war, food shortages, plagues, dying crops and cattle, even curses.

He'd studied hard in his 29 years of life and worked hard to gain his influence. He was smart and knew just about everything there was to know about tragedies that could befall a kingdom, no matter how small.

That was why he sent out scouts every week to access the mines. He-unlike the others-did not trust that Gods favor would last forever. Especially if they use it so recklessly and take it for granted.

He had grown into an incredible man, the one he'd dreamed of as a child. But at home, in his own kingdom he was treated as a fool by both his family and the majority of people. He did not let their words sway him.

Maybe he was worried for nothing, but he'd rather be overly prepared than utterly unprepared and watched his kingdom fall when he could've prevented it.

"Your majesty," his best friend and assistant called out to him breaking him from his thoughts. The man stood before him breathless.

"Look at this," the fear in his eyes and the tremble in his voice made Knox rip the papar from the mans hands.

"One of the southern mines looks to be about dry, the northern mines are producing less and less and the eastern gold mine has not given any gold for a few days," he summarizes the surveyors letter, trying to stay calm.

"The other mines look fine for now," he says his voice even.

"What do we do your majesty?" Fredor asks. Worriedly wringing his hands.

"Do what we've planned for," he says standing from his desk. "This is situation 27."

"Then, I'll saddle up your fastest horse and load him up with a light load that would last you for a week," he continues listing out all the things they'd planned for in this situation.

"I'll go inform my parents of the news and tell them of my journey to make sure the assessment was true," he's walking out of the room as he finishes. "This is time sensitive Fredor, do take haste."

"Yes, your majesty." With that the man leaves.

Knox prays that this is all a lie, that his fears are unwarranted, but he know deep down he knows that this is the truth. At that moment he was glad he'd prepared. Maybe with him leading, this kingdom could have a chance at survival, maybe.

He rounds the final corner to where his parents are. They sit in the gardens on golden chairs set with rubies and emeralds. His younger brother sits with them, obviously drunk.

Knox looks up at the old watch on his wrist, it read 10 with the sun high. He shakes his head at his pathetic brother.

"Mother, father, James," his brother just swats at the air. Knox rolls his eyes at the drunkard and faces back to his parents.

"I have received news that the southern mine is almost dry, the northern mines are producing less and less by the day, and that the eastern gold mine hasn't produced any gold in days," he says. "I plan to investigate the mines to make sure for myself that this is really true, but-"

"Well of course it isn't true," the king laughs. "They will never run dry. We are a people blessed by God."

"No we are not, our ancestors are-"

"Son," his mother interrupts, "are you are so young and naive to go against God?"

"What do you mean by that?" He almost growls.

"Well, your brother understands that-"

"You mean this sad excuse for a man drooling on the gold table next to me?" He lets his anger get the best of him. "He understands something I don't?"

"Watch your mouth," his father warns, his tone final.

"Yes, your majesty." Knox says through gritted teeth. "I will investigate, and return."

"Yes, find the Imbecile behind this heresy and have him exiled." His father demands, slamming his fist on the table. His jewelry clanging and he does so.

Knox just nods and excuses himself, knowing he'll get nowhere without proof.

As he walks away he hears them laughing and joking about Knox. How he is 'a fool', 'a madman'. If I am a fool is because I've been forced to live in such close quarters with those more foolish than even I.

Talking to them always gave him a headache.

To be continued...

December 20, 2023