Chapter One: The Cry

It was quiet and the morning fog was setting in. Dawn would soon break and the people of Etaria would rise from their beds ready to begin the new day ahead. Adelina had been up all night on patrol through the fortress walls that protected castle Tsubaki. 

She had finished her regular route early, giving her just enough time to stop at the gates to await the beautiful sunrise over the mountains. She adored the way the bright beams would shine on the snowy mountains and ignite the snowflakes glistening on the ground in a glorious display of dancing lights. Just as she was waiting for this magical moment to end her night, a loud cry rang out and pulled her from her thoughts. 

"HELP! Anyone please, help!"

A small sled emerged from the dark woods. Pulling this sled was a pair of indriks. Indriks are gigantic mythical creatures with long deer legs, broad shoulders and muscular build as a bull, and the head of horse with a large horn on their snout. They are common in Etaria as they are able to withstand the harsh and cold temperatures and rough mountain terrain.

There were two figures on board the sled. The first figure was tall and slender, they appeared to be driving the sled and waving one arm frantically in the air. The other figure was bundled in animal fur and pelts tied down carefully and securely for the trip.

As they reached the gates Adelina raised her hand and commanded. "HALT! State your business at once!" Adelina was a famous warrior in the kingdom, no one dared challenge her command.

Instantly, the young able-bodied man, now visible to all stood back from his sled. He gestured to the frail and older woman on board the sled wrapped in pelts as he began to explain.

"Please, my grandmother is very sick. We seek a medical consult with Xar."

At the mention of his name, Adelina's eyes flickered with disgust. She had studied healing from his father and when he died, Xar took charge over her studies. It was true that he was a capable and wise healer. In her mind, he could cure many rare and even severe cases of diseases, but it couldn't make up for his horrible personality.

He was a man of self-interest. One that would exploit anyone, no matter their status or condition, money, or power, always in his best interest. His morals were nonexistent. If the deal proposed didn't serve him in some way, whether now or future, he would refuse to treat the patient.

Adelina was well versed in medical practices Xar and his father, Xenoth, had used. Under Xenoth's tutelage she often found that his greatest gift was his generosity and compassion towards others. He would heal all who asked for his aid and asked for nothing in return. She never understood how vastly different the father and son pair were. Just thinking of this made her spine shiver.

Xenoth's teachings and books were all that remained after he passed. The only ones who inherited them were Adelina and Xar. As she knew all too well of how Xar had cured her brother of frostalysis, a paralyzing frost disease, she told one of the guards to send for him immediately.

Adelina descended the gates at once to get a better look at the patient. With any luck she may be able to resolve this before Xar arrives, saving them from having to pay him his fees. Once she got closer, she could see the old lady had warts and boils forming under her skin as if she was burning up on the inside.

She checked the woman for a fever only to be surprised at how cold she felt. She took note that the elderly woman was also shivering and uncomfortable in the cool weather. It was uncommon for anyone from the kingdom to find the winter weather discomforting. Ice was a part of them, and they were a part of it. Warmer weather typically posed a larger threat to them.

As the sun's rays reached them from beyond the mountains, Adelina stood in awe of the lady's dark and ashen skin. It was dry and flaking off like a sunburn that peels upon healing. With curious and cautious eyes, she asked, "has she always been grey?"