Chapter Seven: Dangerous Times

The climb up Mt. Igneous would be long and they needed to prepare. It was a tall 3,482 meters, about the height of Mount St. Helens. It would take all day to climb there and back. The group made a trip to the farmers market for some supplies including snacks and drinks. Once they had purchased all the food and drink, they needed, they headed for an outdoors shop to purchase the necessary gear to climb the mountain.

By lunch time, they had all the items needed for the hike. Adelina thought it was too late to start the climb that day and set it aside after she packed her bag. She hadn't rested well since coming to the village and was feeling very tired. She stood up and walked out into the living room.

"Phillip, I want you and Rose to go back to the castle to take the analyzers and samples to Anthony for safeguarding." Adelina said firmly.

"What will you do in the meantime?" asked Rose.

"I'm going to stay here and make sure we didn't miss anything. Then I thought I'd practice a little." She replied.

"Don't overdo it." Phillip said. "We'll be back by dinnertime."

She nodded as they began to gather everything to take back. Rose strapped the carrier full of samples to her back and helped carry some boxes down. Adelina carried the boxes with the microscope and extraction materials. Phillip carried the heavy analyzer. In just a few short trips, everything was packed and fastened on the ice mobiles ready for transport.

Rose and Phillip mounted the ice mobiles and took off. The ride would be easy for them as they were both powerful and skillful. They had both underwent serious combat training and endurance training, so they were not going to be drained from the extra task. Adelina decided it was best they we not present while she went back to the room to practice.

Waylen had one of his men tailing the group ever since they arrived. The man reported their visit to the spring and how he had enticed a sleeping lynx to attack them in the cave. He didn't count on Adelina being so cunning and skilled. He decided to wait for an opportunity to appear. The next day they spent it almost entirely in the inn. When the group had left for dinner, the man attempted to sneak into their suite and steal the results.

To his surprise, they were more careful than he anticipated. He was able to find residue of the silver powder that had fallen beneath the couch. He scooped it up and continued to search. When he found the container, he was unable to open the magical lock. He was about to steal it when he heard footsteps approaching. The group was returning. He would have to wait for a better chance to take it, for now, he couldn't be caught. Seeing Rose wearing the container, he knew this was his last chance. He got on an ice mobile and hurried after them.

Rose and Phillip had one goal in mind, drop off everything quickly and return to Adelina's side before she attempted anything rash. It didn't go unnoticed that Adelina's behavior changed, and practice meant she would be using her magic with intent to perform that spell. They had seen the dark circles under her eyes and during meals taken notice that she'd been eating less. These were dangerous conditions to be practicing higher levels of magic. If she had wanted to, Adelina could have taken the samples herself and returned faster than either of them.

They heard a sound getting louder from behind.

"Someone's coming!" Rose shouted.

"Let them pass!" Phillip replied.

The two moved over to allow the other person to pass them. The person suddenly moved behind them. The two instantly knew they were being followed.

"Evasion tactic number two!" Rose commanded.

This tactic was a divide and conquer approach where one person slows down and pulls up behind the attacker. Phillip nodded and began to slow down before making a 180 degree turn to face the assailant.